× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disconnecting with WNDA3100v2 , Windows 10

nestmoxica
Follower

Disconnecting with WNDA3100v2 , Windows 10

I've been trying to figure out the problem with my wireless connection for the past 6 hours, and so far only partial success. Here is the whole situation.

Description of the Problem:
Whenever I try to load a program that requires logging onto the internet (online video games), or youtube videos with 4K resolution, my internet stops working. The problem is specific to my PC; other PCs and devices around the house continue working just fine. The only way to resolve the problem is to close the program/web browser, unplug the Wireless USB adapter, and replug it. The USB works fine until I try reopening the program/web browers, where the internet will stop working once again. 

Steps I've taken:
1) First I made sure that the latest driver was installed for the WNDA3100v2 USB adapter. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. 

- No improvements

2) I went through all of the settings on the USB port to make sure there wasn't anything that would cut off the connection.
Specifically, I checked the power management settings for the wireless USB device, I disabled minimum power consumption, and I went to each USB root hub and made sure that none of the boxes were checked off to save power.

-No improvements

3) I tried disabling internet protocol version 6 under my network connections property settings, to see if that made any difference.

-No improvements.

4) I tried the USB wireless stick in multiple ports.

- No improvements.

5) I plugged the wireless stick to my laptop (using Windows 10, the same operating system as PC#1) and ran the same program to see if the wireless stick would stop working on a different PC -- this was performed at the exact distance from the router as the first PC.

- My laptop did NOT crash under 5.0GHz speed. Worked just fine. Never tried at the 2.4 GHz speed.

6). I went back to the original PC and double checked which frequency the PC was connected to. It was connecting to the 5.0GHz speed. I tried to run the software once again to test it, and it crashed. I then decided to configure the router into two seperate SSIDs for 5.0GHz speed and 2.4GHz speed. The wireless stick crashed on the 5.0GHz speed, but interestingly, it did NOT crash on the 2.4 GHz speed (confirmed after repeating the same experiment several times)

Discussion
Internet seems to work but it's not optimal and has serious limitations. Particularly, if I run a VPN on the 2.4GHz speed, and try downloading any large file, it stops working. Ideally, I want my connection to be working on the 5.0GHz speed (as this is faster, of course). I also don't think the problem has anything to do with the distance, since I was able to connect just fine with my laptop at the exact location. And while I don't have the same problem playing games anymore, I still run into issues when I download large files. The problem appears to be specific to this PC only. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Model: WNDA3100v2|RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7