× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need an upgrade for WNDA3100?

CCSBCty
Follower

Do I need an upgrade for WNDA3100?

I am not a gamer, but see new versions of WNDA3100, do I need to purchase newer versions or dowload upgraded firmware and software?  Pretty much a novice, suggestions appreciated.

Model: WNDA3100|RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Do I need an upgrade for WNDA3100?

It all depends on what you're using it for and if its meeting your needs. As well as what your internet/router capabilities are. 

If its working, doesn't stutter, lag, cause issues, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

As well as if you only have a single band router, whats the poing of upgrading to a dual band adapter. 

but if your wanting faster connections, have a router capable of it, then it isn't a bad idea and they're not to expensive. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Do I need an upgrade for WNDA3100?

@CCSBCty wrote:

...do I need to purchase newer versions or dowload upgraded firmware and software? 

You cannot update hardware version by downloading new software or firmware. New firmware and drivers can fix security issues and sometimes add new features to some devices, but they can't change the hardware. New stuff usually has different chips.

The original WNDA3100 (V1) dates back to 2007! Even the newer V3 is from 2014. None of them seem to offer 5 GHz wifi.

So we are talking old technology here. (You are lucky that your device still works.) But if your current kit does what you want, why spend money?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7