× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drive Errors, Can't Connect - A7000

zsines
Aspirant

Drive Errors, Can't Connect - A7000

I have tried numerous times now...

I used the disk that came with the A7000 I just purchased brand new.  I selected the full Genie app first, then the app installed, Windows 10 said we are all good with the driver...then I tried to connect to my network.  After putting in the pass, the device disconnected from the computer and the application won't open now.  When I go in to device manager, it says there is a driver error.

I've un-installed, re-installed, deleted everything I could find with NETGEAR on it, tried again, tried the Standalone version, tried the BETA 1.0.0.13 version...nothing works.

Any suggestions would be great.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
zsines
Aspirant

Ok, I think I figured it out.  I removed the device, then deleted the driver that was associted with the port.  I restarted my computer and opened the BIOS.  I went through my USB configuration, turned on the USB 3.0 Legacy Support (don't know if this helps, but why not.  2.0 was on.).  Rebooted, logged in, plugged it in.  Windows 10 just installed it's own driver, working fine now like last night's frustrating conclusion didn't happen.  DO NOT use the CD.  That warning on the adapter's plastic wrapping...the big red one that says to put the CD in first...don't listen to it.  Don't download Genie.  It's garbage.  Just let Windows 10 take it completely.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

One recent adapter user discovered that they did not need any software. Windows 10 found and installed the drivers automatically.

The thing to do might be to go into Device Manager and to remove all references to the device, including hidden drivers.

You could also try a different USB port, if you haven't done that already.

Message 2 of 7
zsines
Aspirant

Windows 10 kept saying I had the best driver, but then it would fail when I went to connect to a network.  I don't think it's a hardware problem...got to be the driver.  The hardware works fine until I try to connect to the network, then Windows doesn't recognize the driver or device and doesn't even acknowledge it's connected.  I'll disconnect and reconnect, and not until I uninstall/reinstall the drivers does it recognize again.

Even when I just plugged it in randomly Windows 10 wasn't finding anything that provided the correct experience.  I'll try to delete all references to the driver, as you mentioned, and then try a different USB 3.0 port.  If that doesn't work, I'll try it on a 2.0 to see if that works at all.

Message 3 of 7

Windows can be picky with network stuff. It has improved over the years, but it still gags. Have you tried running the network troubleshooter? This can pick up some of the more obvious Windows issues.

Message 4 of 7
zsines
Aspirant

Sure have, just kept telling me I had the correct driver and no issues.  The crash.

Message 5 of 7
zsines
Aspirant

Ok, I think I figured it out.  I removed the device, then deleted the driver that was associted with the port.  I restarted my computer and opened the BIOS.  I went through my USB configuration, turned on the USB 3.0 Legacy Support (don't know if this helps, but why not.  2.0 was on.).  Rebooted, logged in, plugged it in.  Windows 10 just installed it's own driver, working fine now like last night's frustrating conclusion didn't happen.  DO NOT use the CD.  That warning on the adapter's plastic wrapping...the big red one that says to put the CD in first...don't listen to it.  Don't download Genie.  It's garbage.  Just let Windows 10 take it completely.

Message 6 of 7

Well done. And thanks for the update. It may help someone else.

That's two people with the same solution in recent weeks. "Use the CD as a bird scarer."

I doubt if the BIOS tweak changes much but you never know and no harm done. It may have prompted Windows to adjust something.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7