× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX2700 keeping dropping signal

BobbyB23
Aspirant

EX2700 keeping dropping signal

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@BobbyB23 wrote:

So left lights are green the right side device light is amber/red? 

here's the manual for the ex2700

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_UM_EN.pdf

On page 6 it gives you details on what the lights mean. 

Left light is router link aka the connection to the router.  If its green, it means the connection should be good. Right light is supposed to be device link. If you're going red/amber, you don't have a good connection to the device. 

I'd use the steps I outlined before to work on optimal placement of the device. Should you want to upgrade firmware, page 36 walks you though how to upgrade the firmware. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

That isn't much for details or what you've tried to do to resolve the problem. From my experience here's the most common causes of dropped signals:

1. Location. Its to far from the main device, move it closer. 

2. Interference. this could be interference in your house. HVAC or concrete does an EXCELLENT job of blocking signals. Sometimes moving a device a couple feet or one room makes a huge different.

3. Wireless interference. If there's a lot of wireless signals in your area, this can create interference and cause big issues. You can either just try changing the wireless channel or get a program to scan with to pick the optimal channel. 

4. the main device. You don't list what your trying to extend from. If the device is old or poor, extending it might not be an option. Not saying it is but without listing what your main device is (and firmware for router and extender) we don't know what you're operating off of. 

here's some basic troubleshooting link. there's a section in there dedicated to the ex2700. Let us know how it goes once you've played around a little.

https://kb.netgear.com/25731/Troubleshooting-NETGEAR-WiFi-Range-Extenders

Message 2 of 7
BobbyB23
Aspirant

Sorry, new to all this.  I purchased this EX2700 in 2016.  I just plug in the wall and it connects to my router.  I am trying to link to my wifi thermostat which it links fine but tends to drop frequently to where I can't update the thermostat remotely.  So to update the filmware, just plug in ethernet cable to computer and download from netgar site?  

Message 3 of 7
BobbyB23
Aspirant

Message 4 of 7
BobbyB23
Aspirant

And the red/amber light keeps flashing off and on 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@BobbyB23 wrote:

here's the manual for the ex2700

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_UM_EN.pdf

On page 6 it gives you details on what the lights mean. 

Left light is router link aka the connection to the router.  If its green, it means the connection should be good. Right light is supposed to be device link. If you're going red/amber, you don't have a good connection to the device. 

I'd use the steps I outlined before to work on optimal placement of the device. Should you want to upgrade firmware, page 36 walks you though how to upgrade the firmware. 

Message 6 of 7
Bertha21
Aspirant

1. Please make sure that a factory reset is done after the firmware update.

2. When you say "dropping out", do you lose the extender signal or just the Internet access?

3. When it drops, does the extender still appear as a connected device on the router UI?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7