× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failure to Detect Adapter

SmithRN
Aspirant

Failure to Detect Adapter

Windows 10

The adapter worked on the PC.  I inadvertantly selected the Netgear software in Control Panel when I intended to uninstall the software above Netgear.  I didn't catch it in time to stop the uninstall.  

I have since tried to reinstall the software from a copy of the CD on my PC and from the actual CD.  I have uninstalled the software, shut down the computer, brought it back up and installed the software again, multiple times.  It will not detect the adapter.  I have even deleted the install folder from the program files folder so there would be a "clean" install - no help.

The adapter had been on another computer in my office, also on Windows 10,  so I inserted it back into that computer and the adapter was recognized immediately and connected to the internet.  Hence, the adapter appears to function properly.  

What do I need to do to clean up whatever is preventing the detection so I can use the adapter again.

Thank you.  

Model: WNA3100M|N300 Wireless Mini USB Adapter
Model: WNA3100M|N300 Wireless Mini USB Adapter
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

The number of updates for this device was nearing double figures at the last count:

WNA3100M Software Version 1.2.0.9 | Answer | NETGEAR Support – undefined

This is one of several FAQs that might be worth reading:

Does Microsoft Windows automatically install NETGEAR network adapters? | Answer | NETGEAR Support – ...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

@SmithRN wrote:

I have since tried to reinstall the software from a copy of the CD on my PC and from the actual CD. 

CDs are very 20th century. Try getting the software from the support pages of the device.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device.

@SmithRN wrote:

I have uninstalled the software, shut down the computer, brought it back up and installed the software again, multiple times.  It will not detect the adapter.  I have even deleted the install folder from the program files folder so there would be a "clean" install - no help.

The problem is probably in Windows. Track down "Device Manager" in the Control Panel and remove any reference to the adapter in USB controllers and Network Adapters.

The picture isn't the same device, but you'll get the idea.

2016-12-21_DeviceManager.png

Message 2 of 5
SmithRN
Aspirant

That didn't work.  I found the adapter in Device Manager and uninstalled it, uninstalled the software, restarted the computer and then re-installed the software.   Same result.  

The entry in Device Manager indicated that adapter was not fully installed.  One of the windows showed an error code 10.  This is what the NetGear site says about the error code.  

Causes for Code 10:

• IRQ conflict
  • Adapter not plugged in properly
  • Wrong/Incorrect driver installed

I'm using the original CD so I would expect the driver to be correct.  It's hard to plug the adapter in wrong.  So how do I check for an IRQ conflict and how do I fix it if there is a conflict?  

Any other suggestions will be most appreciated.  

Message 3 of 5

I very much doubt that the CD has the latest drivers etc. Is there any reason why you can't check the support pages for your adapter?
Message 4 of 5

The number of updates for this device was nearing double figures at the last count:

WNA3100M Software Version 1.2.0.9 | Answer | NETGEAR Support – undefined

This is one of several FAQs that might be worth reading:

Does Microsoft Windows automatically install NETGEAR network adapters? | Answer | NETGEAR Support – ...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7