× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting the A6150 WiFi Adapter to work on 5GHz, Windows 11

David-B-SCUK
Follower

Getting the A6150 WiFi Adapter to work on 5GHz, Windows 11

I bought an A6150 WiFi adapter to connect my Windows 11 PC to a 5GHz WiFi network. I went through the recommended install procedure and everything was configured and working for a week or so. The street had a power failure while the PC was running, and after that, it could not see or connect to any 5GHz networks. Other devices in the house and the same adapter in a Windows 10 PC had no trouble, so it was related to the Windows 11 system. 

I started a support request but they were no help and after two weeks of online exchanges, I phoned the local NETGEAR office. They were worse and told me that the problem was clearly down to Microsoft and I should call them. I didn't do that. 

After a bit more online research, this is what I did:-

Open the Network and Sharing Centre
On the left-hand menu, select Change adapter settings
This opens the Network Connections display
Right-click on the WiFi network and select Properties
This opens the WiFi Properties tab dialog
On the Networking tab, under Connect using, where the NETGEAR A6150 is mentioned, click Configure
This opens the NETGEAR A6150... Adapter Properties tab dialog
Select the Advanced tab **
In the Property list, click on Wireless Mode
In the Value box to the right, select IEEE 802 a/n/ac
Click OK to apply the value

This will disconnect your 2.4MHz connection and reconnect on 5GHz. I already had a stored password from when it was working initially, so my connection was automagic and I didn't have to re-enter the network key.

** I also went onto the Power Management tab and deselected Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

It remains to be seen how long this will keep running. 

I hope it helps.

David

Configuration:

AMD Ryzen 3, 64-bits Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2 Build 22000.675

ASUS Motherboard with 16GB RAM, Radeon Vega Graphics

NETGEAR A6150 WiFi dongle

ASUS PL-AC56 Powerline WiFi extender

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos