× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard Drive via Wi-Fi

G_Pap
Tutor

Hard Drive via Wi-Fi

Hello,

I have D7000 as Modem / Router and my question is, can I use a Wi-Fi adapter to an Ethernet Hard Drive ?

If so, I 'll be able to view the content of Hard Drive from my computer ?

* As you may see, I have WNCE4004 as Wi-Fi adapter.

** It's not comfortable to my setup to connect this Hard Drive to a USB port of my Modem / Router.

Thanks !

Model: WNCE4004|Universal WiFi Internet Adapter
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Hard Drive via Wi-Fi

Is there any reason the NAS needs to be in the living room?  After all, it's Network Attached Storage.  It's shouldn't matter where it's placed.

The WNCE4004 should work but there may be a significant performance penalty.  Communicating with it may require going over Wi-Fi twice.  For example, smartphone<-Wi-Fi->router<-Wi-Fi>NAS.

Viewing files depends on what is supported by the NAS.  All of them can share files like a Windows machine.  Many can also share via DLNA.  And still others can share via server programs, like Plex or Kodi.  You should consult the documentation for your NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Your hard drive has an Ethernet port?  In other words, it's a NAS (Network Attached Storage)?  If yes, why not connect it directly to the router via Ethernet?

Message 2 of 12
G_Pap
Tutor

Thanks,

I have the Router in distance from where Hard Drive is.

That's why I wonder if an adapter can do the job for me.

Message 3 of 12
G_Pap
Tutor

I searched a little on Google.

If I have a NAS can I use the adapter to my NAS then, to make it accessible from computer ?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
TheEther
Guru

It's best to connect the NAS to the router via Ethernet.  Ethernet is faster and more reliable than Wi-Fi.  You can still access the NAS from your computer over the network.

Message 5 of 12
G_Pap
Tutor

Thanks but Router it's on the room while I'm planning to put NAS on the living-room.

Ethernet is better but I cannot set it up that way unfortunatelly.

Do you believe it will work with the adapter ? And how can I view my files ?

Message 6 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Is there any reason the NAS needs to be in the living room?  After all, it's Network Attached Storage.  It's shouldn't matter where it's placed.

The WNCE4004 should work but there may be a significant performance penalty.  Communicating with it may require going over Wi-Fi twice.  For example, smartphone<-Wi-Fi->router<-Wi-Fi>NAS.

Viewing files depends on what is supported by the NAS.  All of them can share files like a Windows machine.  Many can also share via DLNA.  And still others can share via server programs, like Plex or Kodi.  You should consult the documentation for your NAS.

Message 7 of 12
G_Pap
Tutor

I 'd like to connect it to my PVR which is in the living room 🙂

Generally speaking I'm trying to connect my HDD to my PVR and simultaneously make the HDD accessible from computer.

Message 8 of 12
G_Pap
Tutor

Regardless of the NAS, if I have a LAN device (such as a HDD with RJ45 port) connected via Ethernet to my Router how can I access the files in it ?

Is there a way ?

Message 9 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Read my previous reply.

Message 10 of 12
G_Pap
Tutor

Sorry,

I meant if my device it's not a NAS what to do. But as I understand if it has Ethernet port it is a NAS, so it depends from device to device, as you said.

Thank you again !

Message 11 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Correct.  You're welcome!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos