× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have they given up on Windows 8.1 compatibility?

Davesterio
Follower

Have they given up on Windows 8.1 compatibility?

I've been searching for months on solutions for the random disconnects and nothing's worked. Has Netgear released any statements on when we can expect drivers that actually support 8.1 or are we going to be left in the dark just waiting?
Really sad when I go to Best Buy and buy the most expensive wireless adapter and then find out it doesn't work on my brand new PC for livestreaming.
Even had my internet speeds doubled because I thought that could possibly be the issue.

Message 1 of 9
Nexious
Tutor

Re: Have they given up on Windows 8.1 compatibility?

I just switched from Windows 7 to 8.1 last night and am highly frustrated by the disconnects and other issues the A6200 is giving me. It is especially annoying considering I just bought the adapter this year for twice as much as a competing one and it advertised Windows 8 compatibility right on the box. I performed a fresh format and install of Windows 8 then all the updates including Windows 8.1 and then the latest a6200 driver but I have to disconnect it and plug it back in constantly for Internet to work, sometimes it thinks I'm connected but then says limited too. Don't know what else to try.
Message 2 of 9
noboundaries
Guide

have you tried the driver beta, 1.0.0.35 yet, it seem to have fixed the issues, just a damn pop up message saying its connected. Other than that its staying connected with good speed. seems to be an answer. I had the same issued, drop out and failures galore.. Good luck
Message 3 of 9
Nexious
Tutor

Yes, the latest beta 1.0.0.35 did not improve the problem for me. My very old DWA-125 card from D-Link works without issue in Windows 8.1. I ended up getting a competing company's PCI-E WiFi card for Windows 8.1 that works flawlessly.
Message 4 of 9
billcrowley
Guide

I was wondering if anyone has really found a solution to this? I have the 6200 with a nighthawk router. When the adapter is connected, it works fine...since I have gigabit service, I get 225mbps wireless.

That said, it regularly drops the connection when the adapter in the network control panel disappears for no reason. sometimes, removing and reinserting the USB doesn't even fix it.

I've read the forum and tried every solution I could find....I have installed/uninstalled each of the available drivers, followed the procedure to delete the certain registry entries, turned off the selection to disable power, etc. I have tried standalone and genie versions of the adapter. I will say, that after I deleted the registry items and installed the latest genie driver it does stay connected longer than before....perhaps 1.5 hours. Before this, it was dropping within 30 minutes.

I used to run win 7 64bit pro....never had a single issue. As soon as I upgraded, this went south. I did the whole email support thing....useless. I called tech support and after some firm negotiations, I got them to agree to give me some tech support for free even after my 90 days is over (still within hardware warranty tho). They told me to disable my nic in the device manager and then in stall drivers...same problem. They told me that they would solve this problem but when I called back I got a major hassle and they finally gave up and said the would send me a new adapter. They also tried to blame this on microsoft saying it is an OS problem....I actually laughed out loud at the guy on the phone.

Unless anyone has any bright ideas, I am afraid that I have an expensive and yet useless adapter.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Message 5 of 9
malrats
Aspirant

I think it's safe to say they've completely given up on 8.1 support.

Which really scares me when I think about how Windows 10 is coming out as a free upgrade next month...
Message 6 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

There is a software that supports Windows 8.1.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/A6200#searchResults
Message 7 of 9
kwolf
Guide

It says it supports 8.1, and it installs on 8.1. That's not the issue.

Random disconnections, failure to reconnect on restart, general unreliability. Those are the issues and Netgear has not released any updates to fix the problems.
Message 8 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please check under power management on adapter properties and try unchecking the option "Allow the computer to turn off..."
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7