× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I enabled SMART CONNECT and it ended my internet forever

Alex_taylor
Tutor

I enabled SMART CONNECT and it ended my internet forever

So heres my issue with their product. 

1) who ever designed the interface of these products is down right mentally retarded 

(Need to connect to your router? first connect to the wifi.... but wait having wifi issues? want to connect to your router to fix them? connect to the wifi to access it... Tough luck)

2) The fact that they charge you for help on a product that YOU BOUGHT FROM THEM shows how much of a money mongering corperation this is.

(Called customer support... "Hello let me check to see the issue (Checks first to see if I have a subscription to them) Oh I know the solution and its an easy one BUUUUUTTTTTT you have to pay upwords of 200$ to fix your small issue." THAT I KNOW IS CAUSED BY THE RETARD WHO DESIGNED THEIR SOFTWARE IN THE FIRST PLACE 

3) again with the design and these are the issues 

I enabled smart connect and it **bleep**ing ended my internet forever

Tried to hard reset it now I cant even access my og settings 

Found a post similar and this is what they said..... not very helpful 

"when connecting to wifi the device reports an incorrect password. 

Testing

I have done a lot of testing and can reproduce this error every time.

I have been able to reproduce this issue in router mode and AP mode.

these things all failed

• changing password on router and device
  • factory resetting device
  • using a working ios device to setup a new ios device
  • trying to attach a device that was brand new to the network
  • factory reset router and re configure.

Solution:

The simple solution to this is uncheck Enable Smart Connect. When this is enabled its hit or miss on a working WiFi."

This was coppied from someone else who fell into this retarded ass loop as me

HOWEVER, This is all they said....

I CANT ACCESS THE **bleep**ING APP IF I CANT CONNECT TO THE DAMN WIFI IN THE FIRST PLACE SO HOW THE **bleep** AM I SUPPOSED TO FIX THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I've been trying to fix this **bleep**ing issue for 3 hours now pooring over community threads and cant find a damn solution this company has down right lost me as a customer forever due to these cheap ass tactics of do it yourself **bleep** for a broken ass router they **bleep**ing made.

RANT OVER

All seriousness if you have a real solution and can post Clear step by step on what I need to do in order to get this **bleep** working again before I literally throw it out in the road and run it over with my car before setting fire to it and pissing on it I would love it.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 8
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: I enabled SMART CONNECT and it ended my internet forever

You're on the wrong forum section for your model of router, nevertheless i'll address some of your points:

1. If you can't connect to WiFi, you can connect to your router via ethernet to set it up. This is standard accross networking products.
  2. We have very helpful community forums to assist with problems and this is always free.
  3. Some devices have trouble with Smart Connect, but this is probably more due to the client device not meeting networking standards. If you could connect to the router via Ethernet this would be easily fixed but it sounds like you're trying to do everything over wireless.

But yes unless you're using an XR300, XR450, XR500 or XR700, this is the wrong forum section.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you need to post in the wifi adapter forum for your model adapter. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/bd-p/home-wifi-adapters

Sounds like a mis-configuration. 

Good Luck. 

@Alex_taylor wrote:

So heres my issue with their product. 

1) who ever designed the interface of these products is down right mentally retarded 

(Need to connect to your router? first connect to the wifi.... but wait having wifi issues? want to connect to your router to fix them? connect to the wifi to access it... Tough luck)

2) The fact that they charge you for help on a product that YOU BOUGHT FROM THEM shows how much of a money mongering corperation this is.

(Called customer support... "Hello let me check to see the issue (Checks first to see if I have a subscription to them) Oh I know the solution and its an easy one BUUUUUTTTTTT you have to pay upwords of 200$ to fix your small issue." THAT I KNOW IS CAUSED BY THE RETARD WHO DESIGNED THEIR SOFTWARE IN THE FIRST PLACE 

3) again with the design and these are the issues 

I enabled smart connect and it **bleep**ing ended my internet forever

Tried to hard reset it now I cant even access my og settings 

Found a post similar and this is what they said..... not very helpful 

"when connecting to wifi the device reports an incorrect password. 

Testing

I have done a lot of testing and can reproduce this error every time.

I have been able to reproduce this issue in router mode and AP mode.

these things all failed

• changing password on router and device
  • factory resetting device
  • using a working ios device to setup a new ios device
  • trying to attach a device that was brand new to the network
  • factory reset router and re configure.

Solution:

The simple solution to this is uncheck Enable Smart Connect. When this is enabled its hit or miss on a working WiFi."

This was coppied from someone else who fell into this retarded ass loop as me

HOWEVER, This is all they said....

I CANT ACCESS THE **bleep**ING APP IF I CANT CONNECT TO THE DAMN WIFI IN THE FIRST PLACE SO HOW THE **bleep** AM I SUPPOSED TO FIX THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I've been trying to fix this **bleep**ing issue for 3 hours now pooring over community threads and cant find a damn solution this company has down right lost me as a customer forever due to these cheap ass tactics of do it yourself **bleep** for a broken ass router they **bleep**ing made.

RANT OVER

All seriousness if you have a real solution and can post Clear step by step on what I need to do in order to get this **bleep** working again before I literally throw it out in the road and run it over with my car before setting fire to it and pissing on it I would love it.

Message 3 of 8
Alex_taylor
Tutor

see it would be that easy if it worked i have it currently plugged into the port and it wont even register that its plugged in so i cant access it that way...

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you need to post in the wifi adapter forum for your model adapter. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/bd-p/home-wifi-adapters

Try the adapter in a different PC to test, if it fails there too, then the adapter is probably just bad and needs to be RMAd. 

Contact NG support for help and information regarding this. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 8

Oh dear, we seem to have a confused bunny here:

SMART CONNECT DESTROYED MY ROUTER - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Alex_taylor

May we please ask for the following information for us to assist you better: 

- Model number of your router 

- Router firmware version 

- Describe the router LED status 

- Are we just having issue with a specific computer that has the A7000 installed? 

- How many devices are affected? Wired and wireless devices? 

The requested information would help us understand the issue and isolate if the issue is with the router or WiFi adapter. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Alex_taylor

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7