× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is wifi possible from home to a separate garage, 50 feet away?

FrankSwain
Aspirant

Is wifi possible from home to a separate garage, 50 feet away?

Hi, can anyone explain how to get a good wifi signal to a point  around 50 feet (15mtr) away? No obstructions in the way.

Thank you, Frank.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FrankSwain
Aspirant

Re: Is wifi possible from home to a separate garage, 50 feet away?

I see. It is ADSL. British telecom claim a fast fibre connection around 24 to 38Mb but 18.5Mb ain't fibre speed. It is ADSL at best. I suppose it is a case of suck it and see. So I will try over power line and see what happens. Thanks for your input on this
Frank.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies

That distance is not that far for some wifi devices, but if the garage is on the same mains circuit I would investigate Powerline ethernet with a wifi access point at the "remote" end in the garage.

>>>>  Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 10
FrankSwain
Aspirant

Hi, sounds good to me. Any pitfalls to this type of connection?
Message 3 of 10

If the power circuit in the garage has a separate fuse box, Netgear advises that it may not work. That is not my experience, although it may be slower.

Netgear also claims that mains extension blocks don't work. Again, this is not my experience, but it may not be a good idea to use one that has surge suppression.

Message 4 of 10
FrankSwain
Aspirant

I see. I have a separate trip system on the garage circuit so I think I might run the low impedance mains wiring from a socket in the house. That will hopefully carry the signal 50 feet. The alternative is a costly microwave setup. I want to run a website server and servers make too much noise to be in the house (she says).
Message 5 of 10

@FrankSwain wrote:
I have a separate trip system on the garage circuit ...

That might not be a big enough barrier to block powerline. But that will depend on the speed of your internet connection. On a really fast service you might be fine. But basic ADSL might suffer.

Message 6 of 10
FrankSwain
Aspirant

I see. It is ADSL. British telecom claim a fast fibre connection around 24 to 38Mb but 18.5Mb ain't fibre speed. It is ADSL at best. I suppose it is a case of suck it and see. So I will try over power line and see what happens. Thanks for your input on this
Frank.
Message 7 of 10

BT has upped its game on ADSL if you get those speeds. Fortunately, I have Infinity and get up to 65 Mbps.

Message 8 of 10
FrankSwain
Aspirant

That is true they have improved it a little. But their Openreach arm is selling what they call "High speed fibre broadband of up to 38Mb". So people pay for fibre and only get 14 to 18.5 Mb.
Message 9 of 10

To be fair to BT,  it offers fibre at Up to 52Mb or Up to 76Mb. I see no "up to 38Mb". But that can make it seem even worse.

I pay for one service up to 52Mb, I get  up to 50 Mbps, and that's over wifi.

I also pay for one up to 76Mb and I get "up to 74 Mb" wired.

I'm not complaining.

BT's ADSL offers Up to 17Mb, which is twice what I got when I had ADSL.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7