× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Laency spikes due to autoconfig going haywire. is there a permenant fix for this?

Ckelley
Tutor

Laency spikes due to autoconfig going haywire. is there a permenant fix for this?

So I have had my this Wifi AC7000 adapter on my PC for about 3 months, first few weeks ran fine super fast speeds, actually I couldn't belive how fast this wifi was. I connect to a wifi router that my apartment complex has installed hardwired from Spectrum. So I dont have access to that routers config. After a few weeks it started disconnecting. I updated the firmware and it seemed to fix it. But the last few weeks I am getting massive latency spikes. I can fix it by turning off autoconfig. However if my computer reboots it will not pick up the spectrum router or the adapter itself will not turn on properly and I have to turn auto config back on to have it reconnect and then shut it back off to stop the latency spikes this is quite annoying to the point where i have set up a .bat file to execute it quickly. Its still very annoying is there a permanent fix for this? A firmware upgrade? Software upgrade? it is definitly a problem with the autoconfig program constantly either changing or getting bogged down.

I am running Win 10 Pro is have a self built system.

Ryzen 1700x

MSI procarbon 370x MB

PS. I also have a tablet and phone that connects to the hardwired spectrum router and they run great never had any latency spikes with those. So I am positive that its has something to do with the autoconfig feature of the ac7000.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Laency spikes due to autoconfig going haywire. is there a permenant fix for this?

Have you tried uninstalling it and doing a stand alone driver install on it? 
Not using the utility?

I've also seen some follow this guide: how to fix netgear disconnecting a7000, a6210 adapters - YouTube

with good results. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Laency spikes due to autoconfig going haywire. is there a permenant fix for this?

Have you tried uninstalling it and doing a stand alone driver install on it? 
Not using the utility?

I've also seen some follow this guide: how to fix netgear disconnecting a7000, a6210 adapters - YouTube

with good results. 

Message 2 of 5
Ckelley
Tutor

I have not tried a stand alone driver. So basically uninstall the netgear genie and just install a driver for the adapter. Ill give it a shot.  I figured the autoconfig thing was part of the driver but its worth a try. Ill let you know.

Message 3 of 5
Ckelley
Tutor

Well after a few days of using the stand alone driver it seems that it works fine. The latency spikes have stopped and I dont have to do anything special to have the adapter work properly after roboot.

A little diappointed that the software that comes with the adapter breaks the adapter. Netgear you should probably get on that.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working!
Netgear isn't on these forums much but hopefully they see the these issues. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7