× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing Wireless Connectivity

GerryPeters
Aspirant

Losing Wireless Connectivity

WNA1100 wireless USB adapter losing network connection

I have a WNA1100 N150 wireless USB adapter using software 2.0.0.5 and WIN XP. I've used the WNA1100 for about a year and I mostly use it to connect to a WIN 10 computer using remote desktop. It connects fine, but after a while I lose the connection.

I may be right in the middle of typing something and it loses the connection. Then a window pops up and it tries to reconnect. Sometimes it does reconnect other times I get tired of waiting and just use a WIN 10 computer to connect to my other WIN 10 computer using remote desktop.

If I were to guess it seems something on the WIN 10 computer is detecting it and is interrupting the connection, I'd assume for security purposes. I do have AVG anti virus on the WIN 10 computer and no virus protection on the XP computer, since I almost never access the internet. I have the firewall turned off on the XP computer.

I can regain the connection by using the Netgear interface and rejoin the network or redo the network connection. I've disabled the AVG anti virus on the WIN 10 computer and it still loses the connection. ON my WIN 10 computer the firewall and Defender have a notice saying they are being controlled by AVG.

I’m using an ATT U-Verse modem – wireless connection to XP and wired connection to both WIN 10 computers. Can you give me some tips to try to get this working consistently? 

Model: WNA1100|Wireless Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
GerryPeters
Aspirant

Re: Losing Wireless Connectivity

The 4th day without losing a connection. It appears that this problem is fixed. I haven't had this kind of good luck with it in months.  I really apprecaite all your help

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi GerryPeters, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Please install the latest driver. Here's the reference link: 

https://kb.netgear.com/25065/WNA1100-Software-Version-2-2-0-1

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
GerryPeters
Aspirant

Thank you, I uninstalled and reinstalled. So far today it retained the connection, although that has happened in the past. If I retain the connection tomorrow also, that will be a big improvement. I'll report back the results

thank you very much for the reply,

Message 3 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi GerryPeters, 

Please let me know how it goes. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 7
GerryPeters
Aspirant

The 2nd day without losing a connection. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the fix. I'll let you know more each day. Keep in mind it's not like I'm constantly using remote desktop. Just  a little bit here and there, so it may take a few days before I'm in the clear. I really apprecaite all your help

Message 5 of 7
GerryPeters
Aspirant

The 4th day without losing a connection. It appears that this problem is fixed. I haven't had this kind of good luck with it in months.  I really apprecaite all your help

Message 6 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi GerryPeters, 

Great! Glad that it's working now. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats