× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N150 update failure

Syrenete
Aspirant

N150 update failure

Did a software update for my N150 adapter.  Since that upgrade, the Netgear software will not recognize the adapter.  The Netgear genie has been running for 1 1/2 hours trying to detect the adapter.  I have tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling it.  It does the same thing.  I am running Windows 7 and it does recognize the adapter and installs the driver.  However, my computer still does not find ANY networks, not even my own, since Netgear software says there is no adapter present.  I am running Win7 Home Premium with service pack 1. 

Model: WNA1000M|N150 USB micro adapter
Message 1 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

Re: N150 update failure

Followup to above.  I deleted the reinstall that I had done from the CD, and downloaded the driver file Software Version 2.0.0.5, which appears to be for Win7.  I decompressed it and installed it from a flash drive.  Install went fine until it asked for adapter to be plugged in.  Windows recognizes the adapter.  Netgear is still trying to detect it.  The blue light that shows looking for networks is still off.  Should I try buying a new adapter?  I don't plan to upgrade Windows, as this is an older Dell laptop that I use for streaming  andreading ebooks.

Message 2 of 16

The latest drivers for the WNA1000M, Version 1.1.0.20, supports Win8.1. They date back to 2016 for a device that first appeared in 2011. So, this month is the 10th birthday for this USB adapter.

It may be that the native drivers in Windows 10 support this device, without getting anything from Netgear. If that doesn't work, then I'd say it is time to join the Windows 10 generation.

Message 3 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

I actually have WNA1100-100 ENS/ N150 adapter.  The dropdown menu does not list this, but it does list the WNA1000/ N150.  I went to the download section and found my actual model of wireless adapter.  I downloaded the 2.0.0.5 version, thinking it should work.  The software asppears to install, but it cannot find the adapter when it is plugged in.  Win7 identifies the device and loads the driver, but Netgear genie did not So, I deleted the 2.0 version and downloaded the 2.1.0.2 version, and installed it.  Again, I got to the point where the Netgear genie asks for the adapter to be plugged in.  The genie just sits there, trying to detect the adapter, but Win7 recognized it as soon as it was plugged in and loaded the driver.

Message 4 of 16

@Syrenete wrote:

I actually have WNA1100-100 ENS/ N150 adapter. 

You could have mentioned that in your message. That is a decade old USB adapter.

@Syrenete wrote:

Win7 identifies the device and loads the driver, but Netgear genie did not

So, you are using Windows 7?

What do you mean by Netgear genie? This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

Have you tried the "driver only" option?

WNA1100 Software Version 2.2.0.1 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

Re: N150 update failure (WNA1100-100ENS/ N150)

I am refering to this:

WNA1100GENIE_Setup_V2.2.0.1-1-Setup_signed.zip

I have not tried the stand alone yet.  Should I uninstall the original setup and try just the stand alone from version 2.1.0.2 or the stand alone version from 2.2.0.1?  Read the install instructions for 2.2.0.1 and saw it wants all previous versions unistalled.  I was doing that every time I tried a new install.

Message 6 of 16

Does the USB adapter work?

This is what you are trying to achieve. The "genie" is a red herring.

Message 7 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

It worked fine before the Netgear update.  I never had any problems with it.  I tried the stand alone version that is part of 2.1.0.2, but run into the same problem I have been.  Win7 recognizes it and installs the driver.  When I go into networks and connections, it shows the adapter as enabled.  Yet, when I try to connect to my home network, I get a no connections available message, even though I know my home network is running, as I am using it to send these messages.

Message 8 of 16

@Syrenete wrote:

Yet, when I try to connect to my home network, I get a no connections available message....

Does that mean that the adapter can see the SSID from whatever you have as a router? If so, how are you trying to connect to it?

If so, the adapter may well be working properly. But because you have changes the adapter, Windows is rejecting your advances.

As ever, the devil is in the details. The exact working of any messages and the details of what you are doing are essential if anyone is to diagnose what is happening.

@Syrenete wrote:

.....even though I know my home network is running, as I am using it to send these messages.

How are you doing that?

Again, I can't see what you are doing.

Message 9 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

If I have to make a guess, the adapter is not reading the network, as I have not changed the adapter.  It is the same one that I have used for several years.  Windows 7 says that it has recognized the adapter and installed the drivers for it.  When I go to Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center>, View your basic network information and set up connectios, I see that I am not connected.When I click on the "Connect to a network" under the Change your networking settings section, I get a "No connections are available" message.  If I go under the Troubleshoot problems" section, it brings back a message "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 1adapter."  This is the same message I get whether I install from the disc or a fresh download from the Netgear site.  

As for how I am using my network, I am usng my work laptop to download and send messages.  As for how I know the network is working fine, I am using this laptop, and have used my tablet togame without any problems.  As I said before, the laptop's connection worked fine before the last software update.

Message 10 of 16

@Syrenete wrote:

When I go to Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center>, View your basic network information and set up connectios, I see that I am not connected.When I click on the "Connect to a network" under the Change your networking settings section, I get a "No connections are available" message. 

I have not used Wndows 7 on many years. (Too dangerous, especially for Internet access.)

In Windows 10 I can get it to "Show Available Networks". Only then do I tell my PC to connect.

Message 11 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

When I click on the Connect to a network, it should bring up- a list of all networks it can find, including my own home network.  It didi that before the last software update.  Now it shows no networks at all, so no connections  available.  If I trobleshoot, it says there might be a problem with the driver.  Does not matter if installing from cd or software download. 

Message 12 of 16

@Syrenete wrote:

If I trobleshoot, it says there might be a problem with the driver.  Does not matter if installing from cd or software download. 

What does "Device Manager" show for USB devices and Network Adapters?

Message 13 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

Under Network adapters, it shows Netgear WNA11/ N150 wireless USB adapter.  It is also showing up in my network connections as enabled.  It just is not finding anything.  No networks are showing up.

Message 14 of 16

You previously talked about using your laptop to do things. Is it the laptop that has the USB adapter in it?

I asked to confirm that the wifi source is working properly and that it is the adapter that is at fault.

The adapter certainly won't see a wifi source if it does not exist.

Message 15 of 16
Syrenete
Aspirant

No, the laptop I am using to post this is NOT the laptop with the USB adapter.  This is my work laptop.  I know my network is working fine as I can commincate with you, I can access the web through my tablet, and my desktop computer is connecting fine via lan cable.  Windows is recognizing the adapter, and loading drivers.  For some reason, the adapter has quit finding or recognizing any wireless networks.  As I stated previously, it worked fine until it did the software update.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7