× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600Adaptor-5G works great on everything BUT PC

ssohni
Aspirant

N600Adaptor-5G works great on everything BUT PC

Added adaptor to be able to access higher speeds on my PC.  It worked and then stopped after I tried to connect my Printer to the network.  Now, my PC only runs at the same speed the 2.4 originally was giving me.  Everything else (ROKU, iPhone, etc.) run at top speeds. i.e., 170.  

1) How do I get my PC to recognize the 5G adaptor?

2) How do I connect my printer to the network? 

While I am not totally ignorant about computers, this is beyond me and I really need a step by step...........Netgear support useless.  

Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 8

Re: N600Adaptor-5G works great on everything BUT PC

What is this N600Adaptor-5G? Look for a model number on the side.

N600 tells us about wifi speeds, but not the Netgear model number.

You have posted your message in the section for R6000 Series AC WiFi Routers. Is there one of these in your system that you need help with? If so, which model?

Message 2 of 8
ssohni
Aspirant

I did get it to work on the 5G for a day or so.  Then, by attempting to hook up a VOIP phone, I lost it again. 5G shows up as available along with the 2.4 but it is only running at 13Mbps.  When it was running at a speed of 170+ only the 5G showed up and I could not see the 2.4,  

So the inital problem is speed.  Next, then, is the ability to connect my HP printer wirelessly.  

I appreciate any input.  Have tried everything I know to try including a reinstall. 

Message 3 of 8

We still don't know what you are talking about, especially the "N600Adaptor-5G".

Looks like some sort of SSID, but who knows?

Does the hardware have a model number?

Message 4 of 8
ssohni
Aspirant

I posted the model# on my reply earlier under 'model':  WNDA3100.  This is the adaptor.  The actual router is AC1600 model C6250. 

Sorry for confusion.

Message 5 of 8

@ssohni wrote:

I posted the model# on my reply earlier under 'model':  WNDA3100. 

Well, you could have fooled me. (Easily done.) I see no mention of that in this stream of messages. Maybe Netgear's forum software ate the information. That has happened before.

@ssohni wrote:

The actual router is AC1600 model C6250. 

The C6250 is a cable modem/router.

The WNDA3100 is, indeed, a WiFi USB Adapter but it comes in three variants, V1, V2 and V3.

The original dates back to 2007 and isn't likely to work with Windows 10. More recent versions may work, but you need to install the right software and drivers. It is important to get the software for your version of the adapter.

We know nothing about your PC, or your version of Windows, but that is probably where you need to look. Some people find that with older USB adapters they can leave it to Windows to provide drivers.

Model: A6200|AC1200 WiFi USB Adapter
Message 6 of 8
ssohni
Aspirant

Well, thank you for that.  I am running Win 10.  I see no indication anywhere of which version I have.  Only thing I see is that there is a copywright dated 2014, referring to the 'Genie'.  

I did have this running really well for several days and I started playing with some of the settings in an attempt to connect some other things to the network.  Should have left well enough alone.  The reason I did that is because although the 5G was great the 2.4 never showed up anywhere.  Maybe it shouldn't but I thought that maybe I could get the HP printer to run on that since it didn't seem to work on the 5G.  

I did update the firmware.  Will check next for drivers.  I can use Dell's app to check that. 

Thank you for help so far.  

Message 7 of 8

@ssohni wrote:

I see no indication anywhere of which version I have. 

You will see the WNDA3100 on the label on the USB device. If it has no version number, then it is V1.

V1 is more than 10 years old, unlikely to work in Windows 10, and with specifications that hardly make it worth the effort when you can buy one that will work in Windows 10 for around £$€20. I have an A6100.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7