× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need a little help here with Linux Mint.

LoneWolf_
Aspirant

Need a little help here with Linux Mint.

I just installed Linux Mint (Cinnamon) version 1.9, everything when fine BUT when trying to connect to my local LAN & Internet, I can get nothing but a "Wired Connection" So my question is how can I get Linux Mint to see my network using my Netgear WPS wireless adapter? I have other Windows PCs on that network, and those Netgear adapters see it just fine. Also of note the router is also Netgear.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
LoneWolf_
Aspirant

Re: Need a little help here with Linux Mint.

I just ordered BrosTrend 1200Mbps USB WiFi Network Adapter from Amazon, and it is made for Linux from what I've read about it, and shouldn't have any problems connecting my Linux Mint to my network, and the internet. I don't get why Netgear doesn't make an adapter that is Linux ready right out of the box.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

If you have a Netgear USB adapter, what is it? The model number?

I have seen no sign that Netgear has any USB adapters that support Linux.

Message 2 of 8
LoneWolf_
Aspirant

Your right, they don't, but it is  ID number is 0846:9052, data shown = "NetGear, Inc. A6100 AC600 DB Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8811AU

Mike

Message 3 of 8
LoneWolf_
Aspirant

And netgear doesn't put the model # on the USB adapters, how I had gotten that information posted above was to use the lsusb command. 

Mike

Message 4 of 8
LoneWolf_
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

If you have a Netgear USB adapter, what is it? The model number?

I have seen no sign that Netgear has any USB adapters that support Linux.

Message 5 of 8

Not sure what is going here.

I have yet to see a Netgear USB adaptor that does not show the model number.

For the A6100 it is on the USB insert. I have one.

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 6 of 8
LoneWolf_
Aspirant

I just ordered BrosTrend 1200Mbps USB WiFi Network Adapter from Amazon, and it is made for Linux from what I've read about it, and shouldn't have any problems connecting my Linux Mint to my network, and the internet. I don't get why Netgear doesn't make an adapter that is Linux ready right out of the box.

Message 7 of 8

@LoneWolf_ wrote:

I don't get why Netgear doesn't make an adapter that is Linux ready right out of the box.

Probably too busy trying to keep up with its Windows stuff. (It isn't that good at Mac gear either in this sector.) Not to mention the comparatively tiny market.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7