× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need advice on what type of USB 3.0 extension to use w/Nighthawk Dual-Band USB 3.0 Adapter

AJ-711
Tutor

Need advice on what type of USB 3.0 extension to use w/Nighthawk Dual-Band USB 3.0 Adapter

Maybe I can't put an extension on this adapter but I would like to get it up higher out from behind my monitors...I did have what I thought to be a USB 3.0 6.6ft Extension Cable with high reviews from Amazon connected to it but under WIN 10 settings it was saying I could get faster speeds if I were connected to USB 3.0...I'm definitely connected to a BLUE USB port on the computer & when I take the extension away the message goes away. HOWEVER, when I run a speed test Im not seeing that big of a difference?? 

Anyway, there might not be anything I need to do or can do Im just fishing for possible ideas? Thanks!

This is the product description from Amazon for the 6.6ft USB 3.0 extension cable I WAS using...

USB Extension Cable 3.0,AkoaDa【 2Pack 6.6FT+10FT】Type A Male to Female USB3.0 Extender Cord 5Gbps Data Transfer Compatible with Keyboard,USB Flash Drive,Mouse,Hard Drive and More

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Need advice on what type of USB 3.0 extension to use w/Nighthawk Dual-Band USB 3.0 Adapter

Have you tried a different cable? 

In my experience it tends to be a cable quality issue if you're having problems with a cord under 10ft. 

Message 2 of 4
AJ-711
Tutor

Re: Need advice on what type of USB 3.0 extension to use w/Nighthawk Dual-Band USB 3.0 Adapter

No I haven't I was going to but I would need to purchase another...That's why I came here to see if anyone had any suggestions? If not, I will take another shot at a highly rated one on Amazon & see what happens. 

Message 3 of 4

Those warnings can be intimidating but they may well add up to nothing. If the thing is working you may be just fine.

It  might even be your PC that is being scary rather than the adapter. Tried plugging anything else on to the end of that cable?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7