× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear A6200 cannot see 5GHz Network from ASUS RT-N66U

loldongslol
Aspirant

Netgear A6200 cannot see 5GHz Network from ASUS RT-N66U

I recently purchased an Asus RT-N66U which I'm very excited about. I also picked up a Netgear A6200 USB WiFi adapter. It's 802.11ac Dual Band compatible (says so on the box). When I set up the router, I can only see the 2.4GHz network on my main PC, and not my brand new and shiny 5GHz one. I'm able to see and connect to the 5GHz network on both my phone and a 5GHz compatible laptop I have, but cannot on the PC I purchased a new wireless adapter for.

I went into command prompt to ensure my computer was capable of picking up the 802.11a and 802.11n network modes (by typing in “netsh wlan show drivers”) and both show up. I've also checked InSSIDer to see if any networks on the 5GHz range are visible, and they are not. It appears as though the adapter simply isn't trying to look for that channel.

I'm at a loss for right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
Mark_K
Tutor

did you follow the intsall instuctions to follow the order of when to install the SW and when to plug the adaptor in?

Also make sure your built-in WiFi card is disabled.
Message 2 of 6
loldongslol
Aspirant

I followed to instructions completely as far as I know. I could try uninstalling the software and re-installing again to make sure. I should have mentioned, I'm on a PC so other built-in wireless cards aren't an issue. Thanks for the reply.
Message 3 of 6
loldongslol
Aspirant

After a day of trial and error I got this fixed!

The adapter had a cryptic setting in the device properties which preferred 802.11a. Disabled that and it's working perfectly.

Thanks for the help.
Message 4 of 6
bobbyrulez
Aspirant

Can you please be more specific regarding what you disable and where to find it. I also have same devices and same trouble connecting to 5Ghz network only. Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
bobbyrulez
Aspirant

Damn shit was returned back to store, d-link works ok
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements