× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A6210 - Error 1628: Failed to complete installation

barb1stu
Aspirant

Netgear A6210 - Error 1628: Failed to complete installation

I am trying to use the genie thing but cannot find it.  I wanted to reinstall the program, check for updates, etc. but cannot do anything so I decided to uninstall and start from scratch.  I have tried everything but keep hitting one of two error messages:  1605 this action only valid for products currently installed or 1628 failed to complete installation.  I am connected to internet but cannot find the A6210 program file, the genie, or anything else.  I did not get a CD with the package when I ordered it but used the internet download.  It doesn't matter what executable I use to try and load or uninstall, the 1605 or 1628 messages come up.  I cannot uninstall from control panel.  Any ideas on what I need to do?

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear A6210 - Error 1628: Failed to complete installation

Message 2 of 6
barb1stu
Aspirant

I've tried this three times.  It doesn't load.  I keep getting one of the error messages.  I'm in a loop that will not load software and will not let me delete what's on my machine.  The dongle is connected as I can do internet stuff on the 5G network but I can't do anything with the software.

Message 3 of 6

Which version of Windows is this?

Are you installing the standalone version or just the drivers?

What are you trying to do in all this?

Update drivers? Something else?

You can deal with the drivers in Windows device manager.

You refer to the "genie thing". This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

The USB devices have a different genie. (Thank you Netgear for the confusion.) But it helps to clarify these things.

Message 4 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @barb1stu

We have to completely remove the A6210 driver. Kindly download Revo Uninstaller and use it to clean/remove the driver. Once done, please proceed on the installation. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 5 of 6

@Blanca_O wrote:

We have to completely remove the A6210 driver. Kindly download Revo Uninstaller and use it to clean/remove the driver. Community Team

Wow. An official support person advocates something as dangerous as Revo Uninstaller. Worrying.

Netgear should provide a grown-up option for removing its own broken installations.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7