× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A6210 Genie every time computer is booted up

Sonomablue
Aspirant

Netgear A6210 Genie every time computer is booted up

I have a Netgear A6210 USB Wi-Fi adapter that i installed on a Windows PC (a desktop that did not have a Wi-Fi Adapter). The A6210 works fine (to connect to the local Access Point). Here's the issue. Adn it could be that I don't fully understand how it is SUPPOSED to work.  Everytime we start up the computer, after several minutes the Netgear Genie pops up, to ask us to connect to an Access Point. Yet, it seems like we are already connected. Is it mandatory that the Genie (that shows all networks it can detect) pop up every time windows comes up?  With normal windows Wifi, after you define the connection that you prefer to use, then it automatically conects when windows comes up. Normally, with built in wifi adapters, there is no popup to connect to a network it automatically connects. Is there a way for the Netgear A6210 to just connect in the background so we don't have to see and close the Genie window every time?   Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sonomablue
Aspirant

Re: Netgear A6210 Genie every time computer is booted up

I uninstalled the entire software pacckage including Genie. I re-installed (A6210_v1_0_0_34-SA.exe) where the "SE" is STAND ALONE. I had to ONE-TIME connect to my preferred AP, it saved it. And the PC now boots up, auto connects, and NO LONGER brings up the stupid Genie GUI.  

thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Dump the Genie. Just use free standing driver only. From my own experience.

Message 2 of 6
Sonomablue
Aspirant

It's a desktop with no wi-fi card or functionality. So it needed the NetGear USB device. Unless you are saying that the NetGear A6210 will work with a windows driver instead of the Netgear driver??  I missed your point.

Message 3 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

You have a choice to download whole suite(Genie plus driver) or just driver alone)  I never use Genie for anything.

It eats up your resource(memory, cpu time, etc.) for what? To do half cooked job to confusue you at the best?

Message 4 of 6
Sonomablue
Aspirant

I uninstalled the entire software pacckage including Genie. I re-installed (A6210_v1_0_0_34-SA.exe) where the "SE" is STAND ALONE. I had to ONE-TIME connect to my preferred AP, it saved it. And the PC now boots up, auto connects, and NO LONGER brings up the stupid Genie GUI.  

thanks for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

When Genie first appeared years ago, it was awful. Now it has been much improved but still it gives more grief and confusion than happiness

specially for ones who don't have good networking knowledge and experience. I just don't bother with it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7