× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear A6210 - limited access on Windows 7

Kasperczak
Tutor

Netgear A6210 - limited access on Windows 7

I recently acquired the A6210 High Gain USB adapter. I have successfully got it to work on Windows 10 as it was automatically recognized. However, on Windows 7 I had to install the Netgear driver and software. When I try to connect to a network I get "Limited access".

I have updated to version 1.0.0.39 of the driver.

I saw another post on the forum but although the author eventually solved the problem, there is no indication of HOW the problem was solved. I am hoping that someone can help me get it connected?

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Sounds like a problem with Windows.

When I try to connect to a network I get "Limited access".

Where do you see this? Is it the full message? Have you tried the Windows network troubleshooter?

Have you told Windows to treat this connection as "Private" network?

Message 2 of 8
Kasperczak
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sounds like a problem with Windows.

When I try to connect to a network I get "Limited access".

Where do you see this? Is it the full message? Have you tried the Windows network troubleshooter?

Have you told Windows to treat this connection as "Private" network?

I see the message in the wifi network connection dialogue that pops up when you click the network icon in the taskbar and lists the available networks, and yes, this is the full message. Doing an IPCONFIG returns an IP address of 169.x.x.x, i.e. the Microsoft fallback address.

Although it very rarely does much good, I have tried the troubleshooter, but as expected it could not provide a solution, only a vague message about a "problem" that could not be fixed.

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver but  this did not help. The driver re-installed OK. It then prompted for an update and updated OK but the same problem persists.

I didn't tell Windows to treat this as a private network. I need the machine to be internally discoverable so I selected work network.

Message 3 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kasperczak

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Please try to set static IP address. Go to Network and Sharing center > Change Adapter settings > Right-click Wireless adapter > Properties > Double-Click IPv4 address > Select Use the following address > input IP address and Gateway in range to your router. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 8
Kasperczak
Tutor

I tried setting a static IP address (which  was a good idea) as suggested, but it didn't help. The connection "Wireless Network Connection 4" still says 'Unidentified network' and I am unable to ping anything except the loopback and the host IP that I assigned. I also tried disabling IPv6 but this made no difference.

Any further ideas?

Message 5 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kasperczak

Just to make sure, do you have other wireless devices that are connected on the same network? Please temporarily disable Windows Firewall. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 6 of 8
Kasperczak
Tutor

Unfortunately temporarily turning off the firewall or the anti-virus software makes no difference.

I can also confirm that I do have other devices of various types and makes connected to the router without any difficulty. Even this device will connect to the router when using a different operating system, for example Linux or Windows 10. It just won't connect under Windows 7 for some reason.

I should also add that I am using WPA2 with AES. The router expects WPA2 with AES and is configured to only accept authentication of this type. I did however temporarily try mixed mode authentication (WPA2/AES or WPA/TKIP) to see whether it would make a difference, but again, it did not.

Regards.

Message 7 of 8
Kasperczak
Tutor

I should also add that among the devices that are successfully to the router are Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Roku and other devices operating on both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. The router shows the mac address and allocated IP address for any connected station. This Netgear dongle does initially appear on the list along with MAC address and allocated Ip address and showing a WPA2 connection. However, a few seconds the following pop-up dialog  appears on the PC:

Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual

After a few more seconds this is followed by:

The computer currently has limited connectivity to MYSSID

Running ipconfig on the computer never shows the IP address allocated by the router. Instead it always shows 169.254.14.57. After some 3 or 4 minutes, the IP address allocated to the dongle as shown on the router changes to "N/A".

So it seems that the dongle is initially negotiating and establishing a connection with the router, but for some reason the DHCP negotiation is not being completed and the connection gets dropped.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7