× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A6210 not showing 5ghz band

roiei
Aspirant

Netgear A6210 not showing 5ghz band

Hello,

I've purchased this A6210 dongle around 3 months ago, the 5GHz was working fine around 2 month and just one day stopped working.

I didn't have the time to try and solve it, so I've just used the 2.4GHz, now I'm trying to solve it and nothing is working.

I tried to:

1. Uninstall-install (driver alone, and software and driver - version 1.0.0.34)

2. Change USB connector position

3. Configure "Only 5GHz" - not showing my network

etc.

This is really annoying that I can't use the 5GHz - do you have any suggestions?

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
roiei
Aspirant

Re: Netgear A6210 not showing 5ghz band

Please close this topic, I found the solution (changing the name of SSID aand PASS)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
roiei
Aspirant

Please close this topic, I found the solution (changing the name of SSID aand PASS)

Message 2 of 8
noeltom
Tutor

I have the same problem. Can you please explain your solution in more detail?

Message 3 of 8

@noeltom wrote:

I have the same problem. Can you please explain your solution in more detail?

My guess is that they changed the wifi SSID and password on the router.

Without more details of what you mean by "the same problem" there is no way of knowing of this applies to you.

Message 4 of 8
noeltom
Tutor

Let me explain. I have had my Netgear A6210 for several years now and it has worked flawlessly all that time. I can connect to the 2.4GHZ WIFI and the 5GHZ Wifi bands at will. The problem started when I changed my internet provider from Cox Cable to Verizon 5G Home internet service.

The equipment Verizon provided me is the ARC-XCI55AX. This device provides both 2.4 and 5GHZ bands on the same SSID, and it decides which band is assigned to any device connected to it.

With the ARC, the Netgear A6210 will only connect the 2.4GHZ band. If I go into the Netgear and force it to only connect to 5GHZ, it can not see the signal of the Verizon device. Not even the 2.4GHZ side of it.

It I leave the Netgear hardware setting to connect to "2.4 and 5.0" bands, it will only connect to 2.4 GHZ

Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 8

The equipment Verizon provided me is the ARC-XCI55AX. This device provides both 2.4 and 5GHZ bands on the same SSID, and it decides which band is assigned to any device connected to it.

OK. The wifi comes from the ARC-XCI55AX, a modem/gateway router.

I doubt if the router sets the bands. That is usually a client side thing. Have you looked there to see what it is doing? If it really does decide, then the adapter can't do much about it.

Hard to know which causes the blockage, the ARC-XCI55AX or the A6210. Maybe even the host that manages the A6210. probably a Windows PC.

What have you done that tells you that the USB adapter is the issue?

Have you tried running the Windows Network Troubleshooter?

Have you told the A6210 to forget past connections to the SSID involved?

As you can see, lots of places where things can go wrong. You need to investigate them all. Don't jump to the conclusion that the A6210 causes you this grief.

Message 6 of 8
noeltom
Tutor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I doubt if the router sets the bands. That is usually a client side thing. Have you looked there to see what it is doing? If it really does decide, then the adapter can't do much about it.

I've logged into the ARC as Admin, to see what it's doing internally. No luck there. But I'm still digging into this. The way the ARC works is that it broadcasts only one SSID on the primary network. This SSID contains both 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands. When I connect a device to the WIFI, I can not assign which band the device will be using. It does not give me that option. So the ARC does it on it's own.   

What have you done that tells you that the USB adapter is the issue?

I have 53 devices connected to the WIFI router. The smart devices are on 2.4GHZ, by design. There are roughly 13 devices that are connected which connects to both bands easily. these are cell phones, laptops, TV's, google home speakers, fire tablets. These devices see and connect to the 5GHZ band with no problem. The Netgear A6210 is the only device that has this problem of not seeing 5GHZ. If I force it to use 5GHZ only, it can not see the router WIFI signal.

Have you tried running the Windows Network Troubleshooter?

Yes. No problem found.

Have you told the A6210 to forget past connections to the SSID involved?

Yes. Also uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver

Message 7 of 8
noeltom
Tutor

OK, I found a solution.

I changed the 5 GHZ channel selction from 128 (auto) to 48 and now the A6210 connects to the 5 GHZ band.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7