× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A7000 adapter randomly disconnects

edgoyy
Follower

Netgear A7000 adapter randomly disconnects

Just recently I started having an issue with my A7000 adapter where randomly it disconnects from my WiFi, and to reconnect I have to unplug and plug the adapter back in. I had seen a video with a fix to this that involved using the driver folder from the genie app, and then uninstalling the app. I've already done that and that hasn't fixed the problem. It's so random when the internet cuts out. I once had it last an hour, and recently it hasn't even lasted 3 minutes. Whenever I try and reconnect before unplugging the adapter, it says "Cannot connect to this network."

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
ryancsmith
Aspirant

Re: Netgear A7000 adapter randomly disconnects

R7000 does the same thing. What gives? It's 1 month old and the kids can't do their school work without having to reboot this stupid thing.
Message 2 of 4

@edgoyy wrote:

Just recently I started having an issue with my A7000 adapter where randomly it disconnects from my WiFi, and to reconnect I have to unplug and plug the adapter back in.

You might find it fruitful to do a bit more troubleshooting to try to work out why it disconnects from the wifi.

What happens when you see this? Does the wifi look OK and can other things connect as expected?

What speed do you connect at? 5 GHz may be faster than 12.4 GHz but it has a shorter range and is more prone to interference?

Is there any wifi nearby that might be on the same 2.4GHz band? Have you tried changing the channel?

You don't say what router you have, so you'll have to work out how to do that.

You might also like to look for issues in Windows. They can also mess up an adapter.

If nothing else, check that the USB settings for the adapter aren't set to allow it to go to sleep.

Wifi adapter propertiesWifi adapter properties

You don't want it to allow "sleep mode".

As to this bit:

@edgoyy wrote:

Whenever I try and reconnect before unplugging the adapter, it says "Cannot connect to this network."

I don't follow what is happening. Is that a Windows message? What says that?

Message 3 of 4

@ryancsmith wrote:
R7000 does the same thing. What gives? It's 1 month old and the kids can't do their school work without having to reboot this stupid thing.

R7000 is a router. The A7000 is a USB wifi adapter, the subject of this section of the Community.

Try starting your own message in the right place.

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7