× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A7000 adaptor cannot be found

robbi8299
Aspirant

Netgear A7000 adaptor cannot be found

I purchased a used a7000 wireless adaptor for my desktop PC. I downloaded the install sotfware from the netgear website. I run the install and it ask to insert the adaptor and run the program.

I have tried several times but i keep getting the error after about 5 minutes the adaptor cannot be found. I have moved it around to different usb ports but same problem. So i plugged it in a port i know for sure that works (its the wireless usb for my keyboard) but it still does not find the adaptor. I have already disabled my antivuris software (malware bytes) and also disabled my internal network card as well and nothing works.

I have seen with other netgear adaptors there may be some issue with 2.4 versus 3.0 adaptors....I have tried everything I know to do..Any help would be greatly appreciated

NOTE:

To get help whn it requires me to add model netgear does not even have there own community forum updated so i can select this wirelss usb.

Here is a link to the actual adaptor I have so the one in the model up top is incorrect but it would not let me post until I entered a model...Really netgear?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A7000.aspx

Model: A6100|AC600 WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 13

Re: Netgear A7000 adaptor cannot be found

Here is a link to the actual adaptor I have so the one in the model up top is incorrect but it would not let me post until I entered a model...Really netgear?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A7000.aspx

Yet another new device missing from Netgear's database. I keep reporting them but nothing happens.

You don't say what your operating system is, but some people have found that they don't need any Netgear software to get wifi adapters to work. They do just fine with the native stuff in Windows.

Message 2 of 13
robbi8299
Aspirant

I am running windows 10 (64bit)

I wanted to try and enable usb 3.0 in bios but cannot find a good turtorial to do it. I just uninstalled the genie software to see if windows would recognize it but no look...any help would be great

Message 3 of 13

You should not need to mess around with the BIOS. Do other USB3 things work OK?

The best way to find out how to tweak your BIOS is by finding out who made the motherboard and seeing out how it manages these things.

If you have problems with USB devices, on thing to try is to go into the Device Manager in Windows. (You can get at that by typing the name into the start menu.)

Expand the section Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Then in the menu >View>Show hidden devices.

This will reveal "greyed" out items. If you see anything in there that looks like it is related to your adapter, Uninstall it.

Now do the same thing in the Network adapters section. This is probably more important than the USB section.

You could even uninstall whatever you see in there for your adapter, especially if it has the nasty yellow exclamation mark that tells you that it isn't working properly.

Message 4 of 13
robbi8299
Aspirant

I looked at all those nothing that stands out. As far as I have seen I am running usb 2.0 and I think I need usb 3.0 to run this adaptor. But in bios I dont have the option that I can ever find to turn 3.0 on. I also found last night I am running legacy instead of the other...This is really frustrating...wow...I even ordered another adaptor last nigth after reading reviews to see if I can get something else working.

Message 5 of 13
robbi8299
Aspirant

Tired this only I can access bios with legacy as far as i know.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Drive-Errors-Can-t-Connect-A7000/m-p/1499345#M5665

Message 6 of 13
vagga
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem, on the exact operating system (win10 64 bits)

I know for sure adapter is not bricked, because I tried it on a win7 32 bit system and it installs correctly.

How netgear is missing driver support for this is beyond me.

Message 7 of 13

@robbi8299 wrote:

...I think I need usb 3.0 to run this adaptor.

Where did you read that? It is highly unlikely that you need USB3 for a wifi adapter like this.

There is a manual for the A7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>> Click here >> A7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR << Click here <<

The manual says:

"USB 3.0, compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1"

Going back to the beginning, which version of the software did you download?

The latest seems to be here:

A7000 Software Version 1.0.0.13 (Windows) - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This is NOT the one that you will see listed under Firmware and Software Downloads.

A "Hotfix" is something that been through beta testing but hasn't been through all the Q&A processes to turn it into an official release.

Message 8 of 13
robbi8299
Aspirant

Thank you michael for all your help I really appreciate it. After many many installs and hours and hours of trying everything with this product from netgear i just got tired and frustrated with it and had enough. So today I picked up a very nice top rated usb adaptor from amazon (same day delivery! Wow!) The net dyn ac1200 dual band adaptor and had it installed and working in less than 3 minutes seriously no joke it was a snap...Works great and I am getting the same speeds 180mbps DL speeds as I was with a cable plugged in running from my router a couple walls in between the pc and the router...I am really impressed with this little dongle. setup was rediculously easy and its super fast.

I am really dissapointed with netgear with all of the above comments form other users and the non support from netgear...I even called yesterday and the lady who answered I could not even understand her and she had not a clue on what to do. I have purchased netgear for years and have the best router they make and it works great...so now I maybe know just to stay away from anything but there wifi routers. I will look elsewere.

But thanks again for your help and your should be paid for helping so many people out here. You would at least think a netgear employee would jump in and try to help but that didnt happen. Oh well thats life.

Message 9 of 13
robbi8299
Aspirant

Also I forgot the hotfix you gave me today did not work as well. Same issue it searched forever and adaptor was not found. But thanks for trying.

Message 10 of 13
vagga
Aspirant

Hey Robbi - funny you mentioned, I was looking to get the net dynn as well after I return the A7000 after 3 hours of cussing yesterday 🙂

What speeds are you getting?

Message 11 of 13
vagga
Aspirant

ah -sry, I just saw you posted the speed too.

Message 12 of 13
robbi8299
Aspirant

Yea the net dyn is no joke installs easy and the range is really strong..I'm 40 + feet from my router and my wifi signal strenth is max.

I even hooked it up to my wifes sony laptop she uses its old as dirt and she went from 40 ish mbps dl to 175mbps dl. so I also ordered her one as well about 48 bucks on amazon with a lifetime warranty.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7