× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear A7000 drops out fully for a second or two

empe
Aspirant

Netgear A7000 drops out fully for a second or two

At random times my internet will randomly drop out and not as if it disconnects from the router, but instead as if i'm getting 100% packet loss.  I have looked for things that induce this but have found nothing, this didnt use to happen before I purchased the adapter, so i have isolated the issue from the router/app/adapter to just the adapter.

This is a big issue for me as it results in my meterpreter session dropping out when i'm performing penetration testing at university.

Anyone know of any fixes? considering returning it and just getting a TP-Link usb adapter

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6
jlocker
Guide

Re: Netgear A7000 drops out fully for a second or two

I have seen that on the Windows side sometimes. 5ghz can be tricky with homes. I would try using 2.4ghz or on the 5ghz try using a smaller channel size. And of course try to find channels with less users.

I am waiting for the netgear drivers for catalina, but i am using open WIFI drivers to get my speed up.

Message 2 of 6
axiomat
Aspirant

I recently bought this adapter and I'm seeing the same thing when I play video games. Matches last about 5 minutes and I usually get one drop per match. It seems to take a few seconds to recover. Given the fast-paced nature of the game, it makes it almost unusable. I'm only getting this issue with the adapter; my laptop doesn't have this issue. empe, I'm curious if you've found an alternative product and how it works.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 6
empe
Aspirant

Literally the same situation, I play brawlhalla, top 200 Aus and this causes me to lose so many games. I haven't found a fix yet, but I'm still looking around in case other stuff is causing it and maybe isn't the adapter
Message 4 of 6
axiomat
Aspirant

The only thing that has changed for me is that I recently switched from laptop to desktop, which is why I bought the WiFi adapter. I kind of wondered if it was the USB port getting interrupted or having buffering issues, but my controller, keyboard, and mouse continue to work as expected (all via USB) during the packet loss. I've had this happen on Rocket League, Minecraft, and Discord. This never happend on my laptop. I'll update if I find out anything else.

Message 5 of 6
empe
Aspirant

Thx, I'm honestly considering returning this product because of how annoying this is, it's lost me so many games, i bought this thinking that i'd get a good experience only to find that an integrated laptop adapter is performing better

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7