× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC1900 WiFi Adapter losing connection every 20 - 30 minutes

Kilewion
Aspirant

Netgear AC1900 WiFi Adapter losing connection every 20 - 30 minutes

Normally I use Ethernet on my desktop PC, but we moved into a new flat and it is really complicated to get something going, so no Ethernet for me (also not over electrics).

So I started using this Netgear AC1900 WiFi Adapter. The speed is pretty solid, but every 20 - 30 minutes, it seems to be unable to connect reliably and the connectivity drops drastically.

This is ok when using videos or some streams, but as soon as I want to play something online, it is extremely frustrating. Here is the drop in connection from  "StarTrinity":

Downtime.png

I tried a load of solutions across the web:

• unticking the "turning this device power off is ok"
  • disabling the service "RunSwUSB"
  • service "WWAN automatic configuration" on automatic
  • updating network adapter driver

I'm on Win10 and I'm using the extension cable for the adapter, as there is no place on the tower itself for the whole (huge) case.

I'm quiet frustrated for now and I am really looking forward to  some help.

I have the whole .csv of the connectivity test, if that would help, thank you!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kilewion
Aspirant

Betreff: Netgear AC1900 WiFi Adapter losing connection every 20 - 30 minutes

I bought an extremely long and thin ethernet cable and managed to place it around the flat. Although it's a bit ugly here and there, connection is fast and stable.

So I'm getting rid of the AC1900 WiFi Adapter.

The problems I had were definitely specific ot my setup, maybe antivirus (Spybot S&D), RAM overload or any other weird things, who knows.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Kilewion
Aspirant

So I plugged the WiFi Adapter directly in the PC, removing the extension cable + completely reinstalling the Netgear drivers. (So RunSwUSB go reactivated, but I kept it this way.)

It started really good, I got a consistant 200Mbps for about half an hour.  Then it suddenly dropped  completely  and "runs" on ~50Mps since then. Any tips on how I can trace to the cause?

Downfall.png

Update:
I reinstalled yet again, but with the extension cable   and it gets up to 200Mbps too, so there shouldn't be any problems with it.

Although the ping jumps up to 300ms every minute. (Are those ping spikes from the windows wifi scans?)

Sidenote:

when I scanned in Netgear Genie for an update, it got stuck on 20% and the speed dropped drastically, even going offline:

Software Update.png

Message 2 of 6
Kilewion
Aspirant

Update 2:
I completely reset Windows with deleting every data there is.

Additionally I installed Netgear Genie AC1900 driver version 1.0.0.11, instead of 1.0.0.15.

For now the connection is fast and stable (and I am happy). So one of them worked.

Message 3 of 6
Kilewion
Aspirant

Update 3:

Now - even after the changes as in Update 2 - the problems persists.

I tried the same "setup" (Cable, Standalone driver & Vers. 1.0.0.11) with another PC and there the problem didn't occur.

I can give you all the info needed, but I really want a working internet.

I'm open for any help!

Message 4 of 6
Kilewion
Aspirant

I bought an extremely long and thin ethernet cable and managed to place it around the flat. Although it's a bit ugly here and there, connection is fast and stable.

So I'm getting rid of the AC1900 WiFi Adapter.

The problems I had were definitely specific ot my setup, maybe antivirus (Spybot S&D), RAM overload or any other weird things, who knows.

Message 5 of 6

@Kilewion wrote:

Another option would be Powerline Ethernet. No cables needed. Turns the main circuit into an Ethernet network.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7