× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie app will not uninstall

Owen_C
Follower

Netgear Genie app will not uninstall

Hello. A while ago, I purchased a Netgear A6210 WiFi Adapter. I am currently running Windows 10 home. I followed the directions, installed the software off the disk, and plugged in the adapter. It worked very well, I was always connected, and I received updates regularly. A few months later, my adapter was not connecting to the internet, and my Netgear Genie would not open when I clicked on it. I tried troubleshooting compatibility, running as administrator, and going to the file location and opening it from there. Nothing worked. So, I reinstalled the software from the same disk. Now, here's the weird part. It did not prompt me if I wanted to remove or replace the existing Genie software, it just installed it. I now had two shortcuts on my desktop. One had the actual Netgear Genie icon(an adapter in front of a gear with a "G" inside of it), and the other had a blank paper icon. I thought that was strange, but I moved on with the instillation. After it was done, it prompted me to plug in my adapter. I tried multiple times, moving the Adapter to different USB ports, and plugging it straight into the computer with out the dock. It did not detect it. Then, on my tenth try, my computer miraculously connected to the internet, and the Netgear setup STILL didn't detect the Adapter. So, I just canceled the setup, and continued on my way, because I could connect to the internet without any problems. A couple weeks later, I got a blue screen, with the error message "Bad Pool Header." My computer only crashes when the Adapter is plugged in. When it is plugged in, anytime a app attempts to connect to the internet, it crashes, forcing me to restart. I couldn't go five minutes with out it crashing, and on top of that, my computer was going very slow. Probably the slowest it has ever gone. But, when the Adapter is NOT plugged in, my computer is normal. The speed is normal, and it hasn't crashed at all. I am certain that the Netgear software/drivers are causing the problem. Since I haven't been able to open the Genie app, I was unable to update the drivers/software. So, I figured I should uninstall all the Netgear software and reinstall the software from the disk. I went to the Change or remove a program list, and I saw the two Netgear Genie applications. The one with the correct icon, and the one with the blank icon. The app with the correct icon uninstalled correctly, and there were no problems with it. The blank one, however, is NOT uninstalling correctly. When I click, uninstall, the Netgear installer opens(like it should) and loads for a second. Then, it says:"1628:Failed to complete instillation." So now I have this worthless program that will mess up the new software from the disk. That I can't get rid of. All in all, I really like Netgear's products. It's just this one glitch that is making my computer crash, and preventing me from installing new software. Could someone please help me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 2
JamesGL
Master

Re: Netgear Genie app will not uninstall

Hi Owen_C,

Please check your inbox.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos