× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WNA 3100 signal strength and speed drops after 10 seconds

MADMIKE34
Aspirant

Netgear WNA 3100 signal strength and speed drops after 10 seconds

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Netgear WNA 3100, I used for years a WNA 1100 without problems, since I started to notice some disconnection, so I decided to buy a new 300N adapter. And there started my nightmare..
My router is a TP-Link TD-W8951ND, my wireless network is secured with a WPA/TKIP encryption. I use Windws 7 Ultimate 64.
I tried to install drivers and software from the cd, then i downloaded newer softwares and drivers from the Netgear's download section, but the result is always the same.
I can't use any version of the Genie software, everytime i double-click the application icon nothing happens, just a little hourglass next to the mouse and nothing else. Any software version ends with the same result, I just can't run it. So I decided to keep testing all the driver versions I found on the web, and I used the Windows 7 network's functions and properties to manage my Wi-Fi.
Windows can reach my Wi-Fi network without problems, i put my wireless key and the adapter connects to the router. But after 10 seconds, the signal strength drops from 5 green bars to 2, and the connection speed drops from 54.0 mbps to 11.0 mbps, where it stays. I specify, I'm not talking about a speedtest result, but I'm reading the infos in the connection status window, that you can open by right-clicking on the wireless network SSID and choosing "status". This means that my internet is very slow, slower than my old WNA 1100. Infact, if I compare the two adapters, i can reach from the same position 2 green bars and 54.0mbps with the old WNA 1100, and 2 green bars and 11.0mbps with the new WNA 3100. Even if I put my adapters next to the router, the new WNA 3100 always loses strength and speed, either at short distance from the router.
Speedtest is terrible, I can reach just 1.3mpbs with a ping over 150ms. If i try my old WNA 1100 i can reach 4.5mbps and a 80ms ping. My DSL connection is a 8Mbps Telecom (Italy), if I try a speedtest with a LAN cable I can easily reach 7.2mbps and 45ms ping.

Every driver version keeps me drop, I deleted, reinstalled, rebooted, registry clean, but I still can't navigate properly, and I can't use the Genie software on this machine. Could you please help me?

If you need some more specification just ask me, I will really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Re: Netgear WNA 3100 signal strength and speed drops after 10 seconds

Hi @MADMIKE34,

Welcome to Community!

To isolate the problem since this is the 2nd adapter which has the same issue, have you tried to install it on a different computer? Also try to disable the antivirus and firewall for the mean time while observing the connection.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
MADMIKE34
Aspirant

Hi @JamesGL, thanks for your reply. 

I tried to disable my actual antivirus (Antivir free), and i disabled every firewall. I've read tons of articles about issues between Netgear 3100 and Windows 7/8, apparently it should be a driver issue, I have only another laptop which Windows 7 too, and the result is the same, my 150N adapter is faster than the new one. Dunno what to do..

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

@MADMIKE34,

Did you use the standalone driver to install the adapter? If not, try it please. If still the same problem, try to manually update the driver using the device manager.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
MADMIKE34
Aspirant

I tried every standalone driver found on the support page, but the result is the same. I tried other pc with Win7 and the adapter acts as always, 10 seconds and drop. I decided to ask for a refund and i bought anoter adapter from another manufacturer, wich works well. I never solved the problem. Thanks for the help, you can close the topic.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7