× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Wireless Adapter for WIndows 10

jgt1942
Apprentice

Netgear Wireless Adapter for WIndows 10

I have a very old Sony VGNFW139E laptop that my wife used connected directly to my wired network. I recently installed Windows 10 x64 as an upgrade and now need to relocate the laptop and use it with a wireless connection. Currently in the Control Panel I can see that the WiFi is turned off. If I attempt to turn it on the switch will immediately go to off. It does work on a wired network. I now need to use it with the wireless connection to monitor my Solar array and connect to my wireless network.

Can I install a Netgear wireless USB adapter and get it to work? If yes which Netgear adapter should I get? The laptop will be in my basement almost directly under a Netgear access point I have in my family room. I estimate that the distance will be about 15 feet between the laptop and access point. 

Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Some of the older Sony laptops have a physical switch to disable Wi-Fi.  I couldn't find much on your model but if it has a switch, make sure it's switched on.  There may also be a key combination to toggle Wi-Fi.  One website suggested that it could be Fn+F12.

Otherwise, you can install a wireless USB adapter.  Go to Negear's page of Wi-Fi adapters.  Get one with Windows 10 support.  You can tell by clicking on a model and Get Support.  You will then see if Windows 10 drivers are available.  Pick a model suitable for your needs.  If you have an older Wi-Fi router or your Internet speed is not that fast, then you may not need the fastest model.  While 15 feet is not a large distance, the material and thickness of the flooring may affect Wi-Fi performance.  If it's wood, you'll be fine.  Concrete, on the other hand, will impact the signal significantly.

Message 2 of 4
jgt1942
Apprentice

1. I looked and did not see a physical switch.
  2. The Fn+F12 did nothing for me
  3. I'm going to install a wireless adapter, this just seems to be the easiest and quickest way out.
  4. Between the PC and the access point is just wood and sheetrock thus I don't expect any issues.

Tomorrow before I order the WiFi wireless adapter I'll see if I can get a signal from the Solar transmitter in my home office. If I can then I can just use the wired network. I should have done this test during the daylight hours earlier today but did not think of it.

Message 3 of 4
jgt1942
Apprentice

EEEEEEE - I just found the darn switch, it is on the front edge and for me difficult to see.

I was able to connect to my network.

Darn I really feel stupid and I blew about five hours. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7