× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear genie A6210, Ethernet wont work after using this device

Aardvark135
Aspirant

Netgear genie A6210, Ethernet wont work after using this device

So I have a windows 10 pc I built myself with a couple friends. I didnt have a NIC so I bought this device to use until I ran an ethernet cable up to my room. I finally got around to running it because my ping was unbearable, but when I plugged it in it recognizes that it's plugged in the ethernet 2 port but says it's an unidentified network and that there is no internet access. I looked around online and found a page in this board that says once installed this device will permanently remove Windows 10’s ability to access the WiFi Connections list. What I want to know is if there is a way to undo the actions of this program, and if not what peice of my computer I need to replace to have ethernet work again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. this is where I found the issue https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Windows-10-A6100-A6200-A6210-Installation-Heads-Up/td...

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

@Aardvark135 wrote:

So I have a windows 10 pc I built myself with a couple friends. I didnt have a NIC

You managed to find a motherboard that didn't have a LAN port?

@Aardvark135 wrote:

but when I plugged it in it recognizes that it's plugged in the ethernet 2 port but says it's an unidentified network and that there is no internet access.

That is a Windows error. Run the network troubleshooter.

Check that you have set the Network "private".

@Aardvark135 wrote:

I looked around online and found a page in this board that says once installed this device will permanently remove Windows 10’s ability to access the WiFi Connections list.

That message dates back to 2015.

Do you have the latest LAN drivers for your PC? They rarely ship with the hardware. As this is a home made PC, you should be able to get the latest chipset drivers from the maker's support pages.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

@Aardvark135 wrote:

So I have a windows 10 pc I built myself with a couple friends. I didnt have a NIC

You managed to find a motherboard that didn't have a LAN port?

@Aardvark135 wrote:

but when I plugged it in it recognizes that it's plugged in the ethernet 2 port but says it's an unidentified network and that there is no internet access.

That is a Windows error. Run the network troubleshooter.

Check that you have set the Network "private".

@Aardvark135 wrote:

I looked around online and found a page in this board that says once installed this device will permanently remove Windows 10’s ability to access the WiFi Connections list.

That message dates back to 2015.

Do you have the latest LAN drivers for your PC? They rarely ship with the hardware. As this is a home made PC, you should be able to get the latest chipset drivers from the maker's support pages.

Message 2 of 6
Aardvark135
Aspirant

Ok, so installed the new driver from MSI's website and it still didn't work, but I unistalled it and reinstalled it and now it's working perfectly. The A6210 device must've changed something so that it could read from a USB port, but starting fresh fixed the issue.

Thanks for the assistance, this is an issue that has been bothering me for many weeks, mostly becuase I'm a gamer and the ping was just awful, but I'm hoping this will help. Again thanks so much, have a good one.

Message 3 of 6

Good luck.

Some users avoid gaming over wifi because they find it less reliable.

Message 4 of 6
Aardvark135
Aspirant

Precisely the reason I'm trying to get my ethernet up, thanks man.
Message 5 of 6

If the wifi is flaky, and it is difficult to run a LAN cable, the Powerline Ethernet might work. It is certainly fine for smart TVs and stuff like that. Not sure how it plays with games.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7