× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New A6200 doesn't connect after restart.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

My mistake Sorry, I didn't see that info in the entire thread and I assumed (My Bad) that anyone purchasing the A6200 would had expected to connect above 300 which requires a USB3. System Requirements Available USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 slot Data throughput may also be limited by the product’s interface, e.g. to less than 480 Mbps for a USB 2.0 interface. The product description at best is Quite lame for what it doesn't say.
Message 26 of 60
bradbort
Aspirant

I've gotten to second or third level tech support on this. They gave me a "debug" driver that seems to solve the problem. Unfortunately, its not released, and does not include the full software implementation. They sent me the latter several times, and it never worked (same issue with having to reset the usb port every reboot). They left me with the impression that they really did not know what issue was causing the problem, and it was just random luck that the "debug driver) worked.

My experience with netgear is that when their stuff works, its absolutely great. The new R7000 router is a case in point. If, however, you need tech support, may the lord have mercy on your soul. I've never had a good experience with them.
Message 27 of 60
Mark_K
Tutor

I am still on an old version of the FW as it fixes the issue but we lose Beamforming.

Did they say they were going to release the version they gave you as a new FW release?
Message 28 of 60
bradbort
Aspirant

Hard to tell. They seem really confused. Eventually, I gave up communicating with them, because the debug driver they gave me worked, and they were acting like the gang that could not shoot straight with every "english as a second language" communication.
Message 29 of 60
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Regarding Beamforming,
It's my understanding there are two levels of it, if you will of Beamforming and the Netgear client + version is the one which was lost with driver rollback? And the 11Ac version is router based and only requires a 5g AC client?

With the loss 0f Netgears + Driver based client version did you see a drop in signal level?
Message 30 of 60
IRQ
Aspirant
Aspirant

bradbort wrote:
Hard to tell. They seem really confused. Eventually, I gave up communicating with them, because the debug driver they gave me worked, and they were acting like the gang that could not shoot straight with every "english as a second language" communication.

Is this debug driver for Windows 7? I'm experiencing huge problems with the A6200 (frequent disconnects, especially when copying files to/from my NAS) on Windows 7 x64. I've pretty much tried all solutions suggested here, such as updating USB drivers, disabling power management, downgrading to v1.0.0.18, but none of them helped.

Currently, I'm not even able to copy more than a couple of gigabytes without having a disconnect, which obviously causes the copy operation to abort. This renders the adapter completely useless. If this debug driver is for Windows 7, is there any chance you might be able make it available to me?
Message 31 of 60
IRQ
Aspirant
Aspirant

bradbort wrote:

Is this debug driver for Windows 7? I'm asking because I'm also experiencing frequent disconnects, especially when copying data to/from my NAS. Currently, I'm not even able to copy more than a couple of gigabytes without a disconnect. Obviously, this renders this rather costly adapter completely useless. May it be possible for you to make that debug driver available to me?

I've already tried several suggested solutions, such as updating USB drivers, disable power management, downgrading drivers to 1.0.0.18, but none of them seemed to work. Any other ideas are welcomed!
Message 32 of 60
bradbort
Aspirant

Sounds more like you have some sort of interference. You might want to move your router's channel away from the competition.
Message 33 of 60
Finalrinse
Aspirant

Are these the A6200 drivers or Firmware? I see two available drivers but can't find Firmware?
Message 34 of 60
alfheimkirito
Aspirant

I wish they would put a new firmware update out to fix this. I am so tired of having to unplug the darn thing every few hours because it just cuts out and won't pick back up until I do. Very frustrating when playing games. Come on Netgear 😕
Message 35 of 60
IRQ
Aspirant
Aspirant

bradbort wrote:
Sounds more like you have some sort of interference. You might want to move your router's channel away from the competition.

This is definitely not my issue, as I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms as a lot of other people do, which is that upon disconnect, all the wireless networks disappear from the list with the exception of the network you were originally connected to. That network however now only has "limited connectivity" which basically means no network connection whatsoever and you're unable to re-connect to any other network. If you then continue to disable the network adapter, you won't be able to enable it again.

The only known solution so far is to (physically) un-plug the network adapter and plug it in again. Clearly, this is an unacceptable solution for a commercial product.
Message 36 of 60
davedagearhead
Aspirant

Well I got mine to work but I don't remember what exact setting i had to change to get it to work. I went into the adapter properties (advanced tab) and changed a few settings and it's been stable the past 6 reboots whereas before I would have to unplug and plug mine back in. here are my settings as they appear on the list:

auto
disabled
loose 11h
auto
auto
higher performance
disabled
none
11a/b/g20/40mhz
enabled
disabled
auto short/long
disabled
none
disabled
auto
802.11a/b/g performance
not present
disabled
disabled
100%
priority and vlan disabled
best rate
best rate
auto
optimize bandwidth
auto
auto
11(20mhz)
disabled

I think I changed the Bluetooth, disconnect upon wired connect, minimum power consumption, roaming decision, and xpress.

Good luck folks! Hope for some these settings work for some of you.

btw I'm on a windows 7 64b.
Message 37 of 60
Jene
Aspirant

I've had this same problem - won't connect on startup/restart. I submitted the problem to Netgear support and they provided the solution.. It seems that the A6200 adapter's power-saving mode has been interfering with the WiFi connection. They suggested I disable this feature, and that has solved the problem. This is described in the support article at:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23352/~/a6200-or-wnda3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermitt...

My thanks to Netgear Support. They were very helpful.
Message 38 of 60
mozerd
Guide

Jene wrote:
I've had this same problem - won't connect on startup/restart.http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23352/~/a6200-or-wnda3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermitt...
Yes, this solution works ... Thank You Jene.
Message 39 of 60
paul_de_roos
Aspirant

This is interesting.. This problem seems still not resolved!! I bought two wireless adapter and both my wife and I on different Windows 7 configurations have the same issue.
Message 40 of 60
4BangN
Aspirant

I am still having this same issues with my adapter. I'm about to toss this thing in the trash.

Super annoyed that this is going on after its been an issue for so long. COME ON NETGEAR!!

Windows 7 64x. Had this same issue on 3 different machines. Updated drivers multiple times with no fixes.
Message 41 of 60
noboundaries
Guide

I have a windows 8.1 x 64, and running the beta 1.0.0.35 and seems to be good. No drop outs,, getting annoying pop up saying its connected every half hour, but it is connected and going ok. I had problems dropping etc, till I went to the beta 1.0.0.35, give it a go ps good speed too 702mbps, , Cheers
Message 42 of 60
mas9973
Tutor

Yes, I'm having the same issue... I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
Message 43 of 60
markburgesser
Aspirant

Hi,
New guy here. I was able to fix my A6200 easily with a setting change in windows. I haven't read all of the threads and comments, so maybe it's old news. I spent a long time with Netgear support, but gave up and kept looking. This worked and no problems since. Go into the properties of the adapter, click advanced, and disable the Minimum Power Consumption option. I'm pretty sure that was the fix. Sorry, memory isn't too good. I had the same problem with connecting on boot and wakeup. I'm looking forward to the results. I have never posted before.
Message 44 of 60
brosh03
Aspirant

I have been working with Netgear support on this issue. I bought a lot of these cards for my company and many of the users are reporting issues with the cards loosing connections. The users have to unplug and re-plug the cards to get back on the network. So fare Netgear support has not come up with a solution. We are running HP hardware on Win7 32 Pro. When the cards connect the do great after you tune the PC and the settings in the Netgear card.

I did set the power to max, disabled power management on the card, also modified the Windows power profile to always have power on for USB devices. This helped, because Windows makes poor decisions about saving power. I could tell when Windows reduced power to the card because I would see retransmits and other network errors in the trace. BUT, changing these power settings did not improve the situation with the card not reconnecting to the PC. I’m glad it helped you, but I get these cards to stay connected to the PC.
Message 45 of 60
brosh03
Aspirant

I received an update from support today. They supplied me a new driver, but it did not fix the issues. It failed to reconnect 3 out of 4 times. Hope to hear an update soon.
Message 46 of 60
rjbur
Tutor

I have been having the same issue ever since day one that I purchased the unit.

I have been doing the same "workaround" of unplugging and re-plugging it it to make it work.

I just downloaded and installed "setup-V1.0.0.26-win81_signed" the 26-1 version for Windows 8.1. First uninstalled and the installed this one etc...

I "Shutdown" the computer and restated it. It did NOT auto connect to my network as it should have. It did say I had networks available so I choose mine again and at first it reported a problem, but then it connected.

I will now try another shutdown/restart sequence.

Rich
Message 47 of 60
rjbur
Tutor

OK after second restart of the system, the same thing with 26-1 version happened.

It did NOT auto connect to the network.

I clicked on the icon and once again had to choose my network and YES there is a check in the box to Auto Connect....

It went through the connection process and then it reported that it had a connection issue and could not connect.... HOWEVER IT DID. When I closed the pop up WIn 8.1 side bar it was indeed connected so a FALSE failure to connect was reported.

I did NOT have to unplug and re-plug unit in.

I guess my new work around is that I have to manually connect to the network using the popup of available connections....

Rich
Message 48 of 60
big_j_ny
Aspirant

It happened to me recently after I did a Windows update to my PC.

After I added the new system updates to my Windows 7 64-bit home premium OS, my A6200 did not want to connect to any available network. It could see the network, but it was not able to connect to it at all.

I had to reinstall the drivers in order to make it work, but then it recently started happening again this morning UNTIL I unplugged and re-plugged my A6200 back in.

I hoped when I bought this thing 3 months ago that I wouldn't be running into the similar connection issues as many others have experienced with the A6200, but sure enough it has finally happened to me too.
Message 49 of 60
jopami
Aspirant

Cant believe NetGear still hasnt fixed this problem, this is my second one and the disabling the advanced power feature in the device manager didnt work for me. Still randomly cuts out although it usually happens while I am downloading large files, which is frequently, but it happens like every 5 minutes, I envy those of you who are able to get in an hour of gaming.

As much as I love my router, I am never buying Netgear again. Not worth the trouble, I cant believe they are allowing these to be on the market.
Message 50 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7