× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk A7000 USB 3.0 Adapter not connecting Xfinity

Proxee0
Aspirant

Nighthawk A7000 USB 3.0 Adapter not connecting Xfinity

I recently moved and have a 1gb connection setup at my new place with Xfinity. I purchased an A7000 wifi Adapter to take advantage of my new internet speeds.

Before I bought the A7000 I was using an Edimax AC600 Dual Band mini usb Adapter(WORKS PERFECTLY).

I go thru the setup wizard and it shows I am connected to wifi, < No internet, Secured> Okay, Google all of the possible solutions for this. Have tried all of them and nothing has worked. One suggestion I keep seeing on this website is to set my network to Private if its on Public.

Problem with this is when I am connected with my Edimax AC600 this option shows on my Properties for my Internet Connection. HOWEVER, when I have my A7000 connected, this option to set it to a Private network is not available. I have looked at a fix for this which involed using Powershell to set the network to private manually, This accomplished nothing. It somehow(?) limited the websites I was able to view on my other devices that are connected to my wireless network perfectly.

What is also happening, after I run a network diagnostic to see potential Fixes, my entire network messed up. My Xfi Gateway XB7 is still showing a white light which indicates everything is working. BUT all of my devices can no longer connect to my wifi.

After doing all the steps I possibly could on my own, I finally called Netgear phone support. Was on the phone with them for at least 1 hour. They had me do everything I had already done up to that point. Finally the call comes down to, " You need to call Xfinity." When every other device I have PLUS another wifi adapter I have connects perfectly to my network with no problems at all.

I am stumped, frustrated and all out of ideas, and feel that I have exhausted every option that I have up till this point. I usually can solve things like this on my own by googling around. I have accomplished nothing. I have been working on this since 12:00 this afternoon. Any other help or ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 9

Re: Nighthawk A7000 USB 3.0 Adapter not connecting Xfinity

@Proxee0 wrote:

Problem with this is when I am connected with my Edimax AC600 this option shows on my Properties for my Internet Connection. HOWEVER, when I have my A7000 connected, this option to set it to a Private network is not available.

Where are you looking?

• Network and Internet settings
  • (Network) Status
  • (Change Connection) Properties
  • Network profile
  • Private

If it isn't there, maybe something is odd in your network settings.

Have you tried the Windows network troubleshooter?

What do you see here?

• Control Panel
  • Network and Internet
  • Network Connections
  • Wifi device

Message 2 of 9
Proxee0
Aspirant

On my EDIMAX USB adapter this is what shows up. When I go to this same place when my A7000 is connected, everything else shows, except the Network Profile.NETGEARMUMBO.png

Message 3 of 9
Proxee0
Aspirant

I'm not sure why my Image didn't upload. Basically what I sent was on my Edimax when I go to Network Connections and I check my Properties it will allow my to change the Network Profile. When I go to this same place when my A7000 is connected, it shows no Network Profile.

When I do the Windows Troubleshooter on my internet connection it will say "No Valid IP Configuration." 

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Proxee0 wrote:

Problem with this is when I am connected with my Edimax AC600 this option shows on my Properties for my Internet Connection. HOWEVER, when I have my A7000 connected, this option to set it to a Private network is not available.

Where are you looking?

• Network and Internet settings
  • (Network) Status
  • (Change Connection) Properties
  • Network profile
  • Private

If it isn't there, maybe something is odd in your network settings.

Have you tried the Windows network troubleshooter?

What do you see here?

• Control Panel
  • Network and Internet
  • Network Connections
  • Wifi device

Message 4 of 9

@Proxee0 wrote:

I'm not sure why my Image didn't upload.

It may be some time before the images land. To ensure that you aren't posting anything naughty, a Netgear moderator has to approve the pictures.

You can attach images to messages without any delay.

Message 5 of 9
00msmith11
Aspirant

@Proxee0  I am in literally the exact same situation as you, down to a T! I have a 1GB Xfinity connection, can set up the driver/genie, connect to my wifi, but am still left with a message saying "No Internet, secured." Like you, it seems whenever I try and fix this problem my wifi ends up going down for all of the devices in my apartment. I've tried searching for help but nothing seems to work, and the suggestion of switching from a Public connection to a Private one can't work because the option isn't even available.

For reference, this is what it looks like when I open the properties menu for my wifi

IMG_4747.JPG

As you can see there is no option to change from Public to Private.

Please let me know if you've found a solution, I'm at my wit's end.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 6 of 9
Proxee0
Aspirant

Yeah i had one of my friends that works in Networking help me out and he couldn't fix it. I just had Xfinity come out and setup a different wired connection. So I'm doing everything wired now. Wish I found a solution.
Message 7 of 9
jakez834
Aspirant

I am also having this exact same issue, and I am stumped! I've tried nearly every troubleshooting step I can find, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling Windows 10, full factory resets, etc. No matter what I do, the moment my A7000 connects to my Xfinity Xfi wifi network, it cannot reach the internet and all other devices are kicked off of wifi until I reset the router. It almost seems that something about the A7000 connecting to the router causes the router to crash!

Message 8 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jakez834

May we please know the brand/model number of your WiFi router? 

You mentioned that it can connect to the network but cannot go online, kindly check if your computer has a valid IP address. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7