× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk A7000 genie using 30+% of cpu

Casel002
Aspirant

Nighthawk A7000 genie using 30+% of cpu

Alright. I've posted about this in the past and it seems that the issue comes and goes. Full uninstall and reinstalling doesn't do a thing. Even when I specifically choose the standalone driver from here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A7000.aspx#Software%20Version%201.0.0.15%20(Windows) 

I am running a Windows 10 home 64-bit system with the most recent is update for it.

and the version I am attempting to get to work right is the A7000_Windows_Standalone_V1.0.0.15

It just ALWAYS installs the genie, even when I open and run the standalone file; he'll, I've deleted the standard one that the download also puts in there before an attempt and it still got the genie installed.

All I need is the windows 10 WiFi network stuff and that's it. Just for some reason, my computer just won't detect the antenna in any of my usb slots, nor via any usb extension cords, and the genie is the only way to have it even detect and run it.

Really getting annoyed having a third of my CPU locked in for it to run-makes most online games stutter badly, and even ones I'm on playing on steam that need the connection to save stuff to my steam cloud.

Any thoughts?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 2

Re: Nighthawk A7000 genie using 30+% of cpu

@Casel002 wrote:

Really getting annoyed having a third of my CPU locked in for it to run-makes most online games stutter badly, and even ones I'm on playing on steam that need the connection to save stuff to my steam cloud.

Tried uninstalling the Netgear Smart Wizard?

Then again, what does this mean?

@Casel002 wrote:

It just ALWAYS installs the genie..

If that is the Netgear genie for your operating system, that should turn up when you are messing around with a USB adapter.

You can uninstall that too. Or just tell Windows not to launch it when it starts.

That CPU thing is strange. It affects only a handful of people. But it must be annoying for those victims.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7