× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 Model A7000 connection speeds slow with random ping spikes

Alex2210
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Model A7000 connection speeds slow with random ping spikes

Purchased the A7000 so that my desktop could connect over wifi to my router. The router I have is the XR500 and my modem that the router connects to puts out about 120 mb/s. The two story house I live in is only about 1500 sq feet and the router is downstairs while the computer with the usb wifi adapter is upstairs. On both devices the firmware is up to date and the usb adapter is connected to a usb 3.0 slot. The problem I am having is that my desktop is only getting download speeds of about 100-150 kb/s. I have tried disabling the Auto Configuration logic in windows command and it does help some times but when I do that my network no longer shows up even though the device is still connected. Also if I disable that function I have to re-enable it to reconnect to my wi-fi if the desktop is turned off or the connection is lost.

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 1 of 9
Alex2210
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Model A7000 connection speeds slow with random ping spikes

By the way the desktop is running

Windows 10

Version 1803

OS Build 17134.345

Message 2 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Alex2210

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Have you tried to uninstall and re-install the adapter? Are we just having wireless speed issue with the Win10 Desktop? Or does it also affect other wireless devices? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Alex2210

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 9
TyReis
Aspirant

I have a very similar problem to him, I just purchased the A7000 Adapter yesterday, along with it we purchased the Linksys EA9500 AC5400 yada yada, my old router was broken and I had a linksys g-band adapter before, maxed out at like 14 mbps, the new router got us to 140 mbps, and with the new A7000 on 5 GHz I got about 130 mbps.  All is good, except I keep having ping spikes of 1000+ ms, every like 10-20-30 seconds.  I would say maybe it is something new, but I pinged with 5 GHz and that is the worst, and I pinged at 2.4 GHz and that wasn't much better, and then I tried my old adapter and pinged maxed out at 24 ms, average about 8 ms.  I originally thought it was only while I was gaming, but that isn't the case either, so I am not sure what to do.  I also tried the disabling feature he mentioned and that didn't affect it.  I also tried the Windows 10 Network Reset, didn't do anything as well.  I also tried a non-3.0 usb slot, nothing as well.

Ps, I didn't have these spikes with the old router and adapter combo, and my brother doesn't appear to be lagging even further away in the house with a lower quality adapter.

Model: A7000|NIGHTHAWK AC1900 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 5 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi TyReis,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Try performing the troubleshooting steps here: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Netgear-Nighthawk-A7000-massive-ping-increase-at-rand...

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 6 of 9
Alex2210
Aspirant

Hello,

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter with no change and to answer your question no none of the other wireless devices are affected only my desktop that is using the nighthawk is slow.

As an update I have been constantly disabling the auto configuration setting with Windows cmd and that has fixed the problem but every time I turn off the computer and start it back up I have to reenable the function for the device to find my network.
Message 7 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Alex2210

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 9
TyReis
Aspirant

*Making own thread*

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies