× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 USB WiFi Adapter Connectivity Issues

ZachL
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 USB WiFi Adapter Connectivity Issues

Hi,

Yesterday on the 24th of April this year, I went out to one of my nearby stores and bought the A7000 Nighthawk AC1900, and since I got it I noticed that on my games I have been getting worse ping than I was getting with my previous one which I had to replace because it was broken. From what I knew is that this internet adapter was better than my previous one and should have a better connection but it doesn't, It just keeps me at a minimum of 150ms in my games and I would love to be able to fix this.

Please comment on whatever you can to help me fix this problem.

Thanks

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 USB WiFi Adapter Connectivity Issues

There was a post on the forums with someone else having the same issue. I'll post the thread here. Try their solution and see if it works.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Adapters/Netgear-Nighthawk-A7000-massive-ping-increase-at-rand...

My own opinion with gaming is to have a hardwired connection if possible. it'll give you the lowest latency. Depending your houre house/wiring situation, powerline can possible lower latency lower than wifi if you don't have the option of ethernet connection. This isn't always true as distance/interference can slow powerline down to where wireless is better. Just a some thoughts on lowering your ping times. 

Message 2 of 6

As @plemans suggests, wifi and games don't sit well together. I agree that would also investigate Powerline Networking if I could not run cables from the router. I use that for media devices. Wifi is just too flaky and susceptible to interference.

But you haven't said anything about the PC that this adapter sits in or the software and drivers you have installed.

Message 3 of 6
ZachL
Aspirant

I have tried ethernet before on my previous netgear adapter but it did not make a difference, and I do no longer have access to Ethernet

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Thats the whole purpose of powerline. To have a hardwired connection where it isn't possible to run ethernet. 

Message 5 of 6

@ZachL wrote:

... I do no longer have access to Ethernet

What does that mean?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements