× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Proper Netgear linux drivers for the whole portfolio

Proper Netgear linux drivers for the whole portfolio

It is time to provide manufacturer support for linux drivers alongside with Windows and IOS!!!!

Message 1 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi aalexandrebeta

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

You may post your suggestion to this page :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 7

For me this is an issue not an idea period !!!!!!

Message 3 of 7

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Desktop Operating System Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats

Windows 74.44%
Linux 1.58%

Message 4 of 7

@michaelkenward wrote:

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

Desktop Operating System Market Share Worldwide | StatCounter Global Stats

Windows 74.44%
Linux 1.58%

I don't care Netgear has to provide us the drivers!!!!

Meanwhile on the realworld Linux is runing Windows, Apple and the whole internet infrastructure!!!!

Message 5 of 7
INOV8TN
Aspirant

I guess I'm atypical of users worldwide.

I have 2 Windows boxes and 2 LINUX boxes.  I have each W box for 1 app each - my MKIV SUPRA aftermarket EMS on the W laptop and for Photoshop in my W Desktop.

Everything else is done via Linux Mint on two laptops because MS insists that my W machines are theirs not mine so I can't startup the w 10 machine w/o getting an update that forces me to wait an interminable period while the update that was loaded under my radar (during my previous sesion) completes installation and then I have to reinstall my Netgear software so I can get back on the intrnet this session.

I sure wish Netgear would hookup with the major flavors of LINUX and provide drivers to the automated software repositories.

Thanks!

INOV8TN

Model: WNA3100M|N300 Wireless Mini USB Adapter
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@INOV8TN wrote:

I sure wish Netgear would hookup with the major flavors of LINUX and provide drivers to the automated software repositories.

Major flavors ... if they would cover five, there would be number six, if they cover ten, there would be eleven.  The market for these adapters is almost zero, ... and last but not least many of these adapters can be supported only by using the ndiswrapper, so all you need is this and the Windows driver set (which should be in an easy-to-disassemble format). If these driver would be of any interest (so > 0.01% of the 1.x% market ... by the makers of the many many different Linux distros, they would include them.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7