× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 AX6000 Router USB Adapter support

Brushtail
Aspirant

RAX80 AX6000 Router USB Adapter support

I am currently using an AC1900 USB wifi adapter on my desktop computer connecting to an RAX80 AX6000 router. I am having issues with my wifi disconnecting/connecting continually while playing a game and crashing Windows 10. My wife's machine, playing the same game at the same time does not have the issue. The adapter I have provides 1.3Gbps on the 5 GHz channel but with this router windows alternate between a connection speed of 195Mbps and 252Mpbs, not the 13.Gbps the adapter provides. My main query is are there any AX usb wifi adapters available as I can't find any?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: RAX80 AX6000 Router USB Adapter support

@Brushtail wrote:

My main query is are there any AX usb wifi adapters available as I can't find any?

Not that I have seen, but Intel makes a PCI card that you could add to your desktop computer.

Intel Launches Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Wireless Network Adapter

It has been discussed in this community a few times.

Then again, this might not fix your problem.

Personally, I would look to wire the computer to the router. If you don't want to run cables all over the place, then consider Powerline Ethernet.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

You don't put what options your computer has for connectors or even what it is. 

there also is the option of the Killer 1650 that you can pick up on amazon for around $35.  It's a m.2 ngff card so depending on what your gaming on, it might not work at all or might need an adapter to work properly. they do make pci adapters you can get off ebay for fairly cheap that allow them to be plugged into a pci slot if you're using a desktop. 

https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Wi-Fi-AX1650-Module-Bluetooth/dp/B07Q4YYQC2

Like @michaelkenward said though, best option for gaming is a hard wired connection if possible. If that didn't work I'd probably go powerline or MoCa adapter next if I had the option. Wifi would probably be my last option for gaming if I had to choose. 

Message 3 of 4
Brushtail
Aspirant

I was using a Dlink DWA-192 ac 1900 usb wifi adapter with a Dlink 3200ac router as my desktop and my wife's desktop pc's don't have wifi. I also have powerline ethernet devices that I am using as backup to wifi, which was being used fairly often as the Dlink router was ofthen dropping wifi connections. This eventually deteriorated into the router crashing with all connected devices loosing their ip addresses, with this setup I was getting wifi connection speeds of 1.3Gbps. I replaced the router with the RAX80 and continued to use the Dlink adapter, but I had issues with that with connection speeds alternating between 175 Mbps and 225 Mbps, and when the adapter kept disconnecting and reconnecting continually and eventually crashing windows, I replaced the adapter with the Netgear A7000 adapter after confirming with Netgear support that Netgear don't produce and AX adapter, but this only connects at 172 Mbps. I'm trying to play games at 4k resolution and stream movies over the internet and from this pc to a TV, and I think I'm struggling with Bandwidth. Hence I was trying to see if there was any way I could get the adapter and the router to communicate at the 1.3 Gbps the ac setup was doing. I also having yet tried playing around with the MU-MIMO settings in the router yet.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7