× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random ping/lag spikes

murphyar13
Follower

Random ping/lag spikes

Using the WNA3100 Wireless adapter, and have been getting random lag spikes during gaming.  Everything else seems to be working fine, although my dad has said that this occurs during online dart matches, but can't personally say I've witnessed it.

During gaming, I am getting a normal 15 - 30 ms ping, but will randomly spike to 1500 - 2000 ms.  This varies between occuring once every minute, to about once every 10 seconds.  This will often times completely kick me from games, or just experience terrible lag.

I have done a speed test, get 15 mbs upload/download.  Did a ping test, and didn't detect and lag spikes, but I do believe that's only because Windows defaults to only 4 ticks (don't know how to extend it).  I have reintsalled the new drivers 3 times, with no effect.

I appreciate any help in advance.  I am running Windows 10.

Model: WNA3100|Wireless-N 300 USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Random ping/lag spikes

Hi murphyar13, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

- Please go to device manager and look for WNA3100 under Network Adapters

- Double-click on NETGEAR WNA3100 to open adapter properties

- Go to Advanced Tab, look for "Automatically turn off device to save power" and set it to Disable

- Click OK and observe the connection 

I disabled the "automatically turn off device to save power" option in the device manager's settings

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi murphyar13, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

- Please go to device manager and look for WNA3100 under Network Adapters

- Double-click on NETGEAR WNA3100 to open adapter properties

- Go to Advanced Tab, look for "Automatically turn off device to save power" and set it to Disable

- Click OK and observe the connection 

I disabled the "automatically turn off device to save power" option in the device manager's settings

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi murphyar13, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7