× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommended Model (FASTER for streaming and gaming)

StreamingDad
Aspirant

Recommended Model (FASTER for streaming and gaming)

I just purchased the Nighthwawk AC 1900 and can only get speeds of 130up/130down sitting in front of router.  My router wired speeds are always 500/500.  We have about 20 devices connected including xbox and ps4.  Are these speeds typical?  Do I need a more expensive router?  I have 2 story 3000 sq ft home and mainly care about faster speeds on the first floor.  Any suggestions for faster wifi?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Recommended Model (FASTER for streaming and gaming)

What router do you have? AC1900 is a speed, not a model.

What firmware is on it? 

What modem do you have it connected it? 

What device are you testing on? A 1x1 antenna device is going to be slower than a 2x2. 

Also, are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 5ghz is much faster 

Message 2 of 4
StreamingDad
Aspirant

Updated firmware but may have to downgrade as 5g is dropping.

Fios ONT connected.

of course, 5g and tested on new devices.

More specifically, what kind of drop in throughput is seen for wifi vs wired connections?

My spectrum router Sagemcom Fast 5280 was consistently giving me 450 download speeds.

Why is Netgear so slow?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@StreamingDad wrote:

Updated firmware but may have to downgrade as 5g is dropping.----so what version are you on? if you have the R7000, its known for issues with firmware. 

Fios ONT connected.----which ont? Some have their own integrated routers. 

of course, 5g and tested on new devices.---on what device? Again, a 1x1 antenna device is going to be slower. 

More specifically, what kind of drop in throughput is seen for wifi vs wired connections?

My spectrum router Sagemcom Fast 5280 was consistently giving me 450 download speeds.---wifi? Or wired? Also, the 5280 is a AC2600 device while the R7000 is an AC1900. 

Why is Netgear so slow?---what actual speeds do you get? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7