× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replace the WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001

GaryLex99
Aspirant

Replace the WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001

What can I get to replace the WNCE2001 adapter? 

Model: WNCE2001|Universal WiFi Internet Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 13

Re: Replace the WiFi Internet Adapter WNCE2001

What's the scenario? What do you want to connect to what?

Maybe there is a newer technology that can fill the bill.

Message 2 of 13
GaryLex99
Aspirant

I was using the Netgear WNCE2001 for WiFi to my Panasonic Viera TC-P50S30 TV that does not have built-in wireless. Since the TV was preloaded with online porgrams like Amazon, Facebook, etc., I do not need a Fire Stick or Hulu or the like. Just need a similar internet adapter that has the ethernet connection for the TV.

Message 3 of 13

I use Powerline Ethernet for that. I find it easier to set up and more reliable than wifi.

XAVB5221 | Powerline | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

You could also add a wifi access point in the same room as the TV if that is any use.

XWNB5201 | Powerline | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

It works like this:

• put "host" plug into power socket near modem/router
  • connect host plug to router's LAN socket
  • put "client" plug into socket near TV
  • plug TV LAN into LAN socket on plug.

If you are short of plug sockets, look at the passthrough option.

XAVB5421 | Powerline | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

These are the older, and cheaper, options.  They have 100 Mbps LAN sockets. Newer plugs have 1000 Mbps, but that is probably faster than your TV's LAN, and faster than you need. Even 100 Mbps is likely to be seriously faster than wifi.

I suspect that the device you want to replace is a thing of the past.

Message 4 of 13
GaryLex99
Aspirant

Sounds like a good idea but the XAVB5221, XWNB5201, and XWNB5221 all seem to be discontinued or are unavailable. 

Message 5 of 13

In that case, you may have to buy the newer versions.They will work, even if the TV can't make the most of the LAN speed. But you never know what your next TV will be like.

But Netgear isn't the only maker of Powerline devices.

The good news is that you can mix different makes and different generations of plugs.

Message 6 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

What's the problem with your WNCE2001?  I have 2 - one works tirelessly, the other is quite flaky.  I've swapped them around and its definitely the adapter, not the location.  I have a powerline adapter at another location and that seems to be pretty reliable.

Message 7 of 13
GaryLex99
Aspirant

I'll give that a try...any recommendations?? Thanks.

Message 8 of 13
GaryLex99
Aspirant

Like you, my unit was just perfect sitting right behind the wall where my WiFi Router was located and had been working great for several years. Then last week, we had a strange power outage where the power went out like someone flipping a switch 7 or 8 times rapidly until it went out for almost 10 hours.  When power was restored my routers had to be rebooted but this unit failed to come back to life. And that's where I'm at now.

Message 9 of 13
sktn77a
Virtuoso

"I'll give that a try...any recommendations??" 

I used a Linksys (Cisco) Plek400.  

Message 10 of 13

@GaryLex99 wrote:

I'll give that a try...any recommendations??

Your call really.

I would look at the same brand that you have as a router/modem. I say that because the utilities that work with one may work with the other. For example, the Netgear genie can map all devices on the network. Whereas my second network has a different modem and I can't view the whole network on one app.

Message 11 of 13
GaryLex99
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.  Just purchased a Netgear Powerline 1000 (Model PL1000v2) and had it set up and working in about 10 minutes!  Thanks again...

Message 12 of 13

Excellent news.10 minutes must be some sort of record.

I am envious. I have older generation plugs. They aren't as fast as yours, but they do the job, so what the heck?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7