× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SOLVED: Constant Disconnection of Netgear A6210 Adapter

Mekroval
Follower

SOLVED: Constant Disconnection of Netgear A6210 Adapter

I wanted to share a solution to a reoccuring problem with my A6210 Wifi Adapter that seemed to be causing a problem for a lot of other people as well. Many of the threads on this support community offered solutions that worked for some, but none of them worked for me. I was almost at the point where I was going to junk my A6210, and find a different WiFi adapter. 

I'm running a Windows 10 operating system on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 (tower) with Intel Core i7-6700. The adapter is used to connect to my Netgear AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, Model R6400.

The problem I was having was that the adapter would intermittently disconnect. At first it only happened once or twice a week, then as time went on at least once a day. About a week ago, the problem became so severe that my adapter was disconnecting continuously. It would stay connected only for a few seconds before disconnecting, then reconnecting, failing, and so forth in an unbreaking cycle. 

Most of the threads on this site discussing this issue always refer to this link as solving the problem:  https://kb.netgear.com/23352/A6200-A6210-WNDA3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermittently-disconnects

The problem for me was that this solution didn't work at all. I updated my Netgear router's firmware, And I also updated the latest drivers for the A6210 adapter. But nothing worked. The third recommendation on that link ("Try disabling the Minimum Power consumption feature on the adapter") didn't apply, because that option did NOT appear under the Adapter Properties list.  

After exhausting the Netgear forums and other sites, I couldn't figure out what else to do.  But it occurred to me that the problem might be related to the USB connection.  My A6210 is connected to a USB 3.0 port, and the sound that the OS would make each time the adapter lost the WiFi connection was similar to a USB being removed.  

SOLUTION:  Based on the above clue, I followed the instructions for the third option mentioned earlier, with one critical difference:  I changed the Max USB Speed value from "USB Auto" to "USB 3.0"  This INSTANTLY fixed the problem. The adapter immediately found the Wifi signal, and the neverending "connect / disconnect" cycle went away.  If you are using the A6210 Adapter on a USB 3.0 port, and experiencing this problem, I would give this a try.  

I suspect what was happening was that the A6210 and the operating system were not agreeing on which USB speed to use. The adapter was set to auto-adjust to the proper USB connection, and Win10 was similarly trying to negotiate with the device.  However, for some reason they got caught in a logical loop wherer neither the OS nor the adapter could actually agree -- hence the inability for the adapter to stay mounted for more than a second or two. .I'm speculating here, but this is the only solution I've found to this problem.  

I hope this helps some poor soul that was as stuck as I was with this problem. I'll update this post if the problem reemerges, but hoping that this fixes the problem permanently. I would encourage Netgear to consider adding this solution to your support page for this problem:  https://kb.netgear.com/23352/A6200-A6210-WNDA3100v2-wireless-adapter-intermittently-disconnects

Good luck!

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: SOLVED: Constant Disconnection of Netgear A6210 Adapter

Hi Mekroval, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for sharing these steps on what resolved the issue. This will benefit others who might turn up with the same issue. Kindly report back if you encounter any other issues. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 5
fire_kid2003
Aspirant

HI

where have you changed the value "Max USB Speed value from "USB Auto" to "USB 3.0" ?

on windows 10

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 3 of 5
leeR17
Initiate

Hi, I had the same problem for months here is how to change the USB Max value as suggested as a solution:-

1. Go to device manager

2. Expand "Network Adapters"

3. Double Click "NETGEAR A2610 WiFi USB3.0 Adapter"

4. Click Advanced Tab

5. Click Max USB Speed

6. Change Value on right from USB Auto to USB 3.0

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 4 of 5
thebrokebassist
Aspirant

Thank you for your solution. Appears to have worked for me. I nearly scrapped mine as well.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7