× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WiFi Speed A6210 AC1200

thebluecoat
Follower

Slow WiFi Speed A6210 AC1200

Netgear Forums,

I just upgraded my home internet from 100Mbps to 400Mbps. My old WiFi card was a PCI Express TP-LINK (TL WDN-4800) " 802.11n 450Mbps" with 3 external antennas.I was only getting about ~170Mbps with the TP Link card, 450Mbps was the MAX link speed-- so with "real world usage" I wouldnt be able to get my rated connection speed so I figured I'd need a better card.

So I purchased the Netgear AC1200 A6210 for my desktop computer, specifically because the 5Ghz link speed is 867Mbps which I figured was more than enough. However, I am only getting about 250Mbps maximum. I've tried different usb ports, different servers etc.

My WiFi router is: Spectrum 802.11ac Wave 2 , capable of 2200Mbps 5Ghz link speed.

My iPhone XR can get 480Mbps via speedtest app easily on any server in the same room as my router and laying flat on my desktop right next to my USB WiFi card.

Based on troubleshooting Ive done, I know its not my router, its not interference (as I have another device which is capable of getting the speeds via WiFi and only one other 5Ghz network in range of me). I've used an internet recommended program called TCP Optimizer. I've made sure channel mode is 5G only. My link speed via Genie shows 867Mbps. I also am using the latest firmware/software version 1.0.0.39. This is also a fresh Windows 10 install with all Windows Update installs as well. There is no QoS rules that are setup. I even limited windows reservable bandwidth to 0%. I feel like I've done it all testing wise.

So with all of that being said, any advisements or suggestions as to why I can't get speeds greater than 230-250Mbps via this Netgear A6210? Thanks.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Slow WiFi Speed A6210 AC1200

Hi @thebluecoat

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

You mentioned that you had PCI Express TP-Link (TL WND4800) WiFi adapter, did you uninstall it completely on your computer? Have you tried to install the A6210 stand alone driver only? If not, please do so and let us know of the result.  Here's the link to download the latest driver https://kb.netgear.com/000058840/A6210-Software-Version-1-0-0-39 It is a zip file, kindly select "A6210-Standalone_V1.0.0.39.exe"

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Slow WiFi Speed A6210 AC1200

Hi thebluecoat, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7