× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed Issues Netgear A7000

ken-spress
Follower

Speed Issues Netgear A7000

I have a netgear a7000 wifi adapter and I have had it for quite some time. I notice that when I use it for speed tests and downloads and such that any speed over 250 mbps I get about half speed.

I have Nighthawk R7400 with a 200 mpbs service from Comcast and I get about 250 mbps, they over provision employee accounts on purpose.

I have Spectrum with the exact same router with 400 mbps and I get around 220 to 240 mbps with the exact same router, as I have two of them.

I then went ahead and purchased an Eero for my Spectrum Internet 400 service, and it is provisioned for about 440 mbps, and I am getting around 225 to 250 mpbs.  

Ask me questions you may have.. but it seems kind of weird that on wireless I can't reach more than 250 mpbs

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 2

Re: Speed Issues Netgear A7000

@ken-spress wrote:

Ask me questions you may have.. but it seems kind of weird that on wireless I can't reach more than 250 mpbs

Wifi speeds rarely achieve wired speeds, especially with fast Internet. The bottleneck is the wifi client. For many wifi clients, 250 Mbps is as fast as you will get. Some are even slower than that.

Think of it like this, if you take a clapped out 25-year old car to a Formula 1 racing track it will not magically keep up with Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes. It is the car that matters, not the racetrack.

Can you get better speeds with different wifi sources?

Here's a website that goes into the issue in excruciating detail:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware is a great source of sensible information on wifi.

Then there is this:

Why am I not getting the maximum speed that my router is capable of? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is old but the message is still valid.

The only way to get a reliable test of the speed of the Internet on your router is to have a wired connection into a LAN ports. Even there you may find that different websites will deliver different speed results. (I usually check on half a dozen.) And it can change during the day depending on the traffic.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7