× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Steam Downloads keep failing

follonca
Aspirant

Steam Downloads keep failing

Since installing my a6210 wifi adapter I have been having issues dowloading games on Steam. The downloads start and only go on for a few seconds before I recieve a message saying the dowload is corrupt.

I have seen several posts saying plugging it direclty in my PC will fix this, but it doesn't. I have also tried several other supposed fixes and none have worked. So far I am extremely dissapointed in this product and see it as a waste of £50.

Message 1 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi follonca,

Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the router(if possible) to see if you can download games?

Do you experience disconnection from Internet using the adapter?

Do you have other devices that can download games on stream without any issues?

What is the driver version of the adapter?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 6
aloonj
Aspirant

Welcome to the club. I have exactly the same issue. Unable to download Steam games due to corruption, but similarly large Windows10 updates fail to install due to corruption. Replacing the A6210 with ethernet cable or alternate wifi adapter fixes the issue. 

Please see the other threads on A6210 and windows 10 - there are serious problems with this combination that Netgear have yet to resolve.

Regards,

A

Message 3 of 6
aloonj
Aspirant

Message 4 of 6
follonca
Aspirant

Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the router(if possible) to see if you can download games?

I cannot connect directly connect to my router due to the fact that my PC is in a loft conversion and the router is in the living room and moving it down the ladder that leads to the loft would be very difficult.

Do you experience disconnection from Internet using the adapter?

Yes, a few minutes into any dowload I attempt the adapter becomes undetectable to my pc which then has to be rebooted just to recognize the adapter.

Do you have other devices that can download games on steam without any issues?

Yes, the TP-Link adapter I have is able to dowload games however it severly lacks performance and would like to resolve the issues I am having with my A6210 because when it can connect its speed exceeds 12 mb/s and the TP-Link adapter rarely gets above 2 mb/s

What is the driver version of the adapter?

v1.0.0.34

Message 5 of 6
aloonj
Aspirant

How is this still going on. Sigh.

*this is not just a Steam problem*

A typical day in the life of this Netgear adapter + Windows 10:

New 300MB AMD driver available.

Download once over wifi.

Fails to install due to corrupt file.

Delete and download again. 

Fails to install due to corrupt file.

Disconnect Netgear wifi adatper, connect Ethernet cable.

Downloads and installs fine.

This is not the only occurance of this! Just about any large download is corrupt in some way, including games over steam which refuse to download due to corruption. On each and every single case, connecting with cable instead of Netgear wifi adapter works fine. In every case, replacing Netgear with a competitors adapter works fine.

Please fix this damn problem.

A frustrated customer.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7