× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Steam dropping downloads with A6210 on 5G connection

Ninon
Aspirant

Steam dropping downloads with A6210 on 5G connection

For a while now I've been having issues with Steam dropping downloads and some files corrupting when downloading them from a browser. I've tested some things and it seems as though it has to do with my A6210 wifi adaptor and our 5G connection.

If I connect an ethernet cord to my computer it downloads everything no problem. If I keep the wifi adaptor plugged in (no ethernet cord this time) and stay at our "slower" speed it downloads everything, no problem (well, except for less than 1 megabyte per second speed, that is). 

Internet and everything else except for downloads through a browser and steam seem to not be affected. Is there any way I could generate some form of log that might show someone what the issue is? ESPECIALLY when downloading through steam, any time I try it on 5G it downloads quickly, but drops connection LITERALLY every other second. 

I've tried pretty much everything at this point. I'm considering now just getting a new adaptor and not using Netgear anymore. 😞

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Ninon
Aspirant

Re: Steam dropping downloads with A6210 on 5G connection

I ended up purchasing another adaptor. It's much smaller and I haven't had any troubles witih it so far. Thanks for the help in any case!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ninon,

1. Do you have other wireless devices that works fine with the router?

2. Have you tried downloading steam on a different wireless device?

3. What is the driver version of the adapter?

Message 2 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ninon,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 8
Ninon
Aspirant

The driver version is 5.1.22.0. 

Every other computer and gadget in the house is able to download no problem. 

I've found out that while it constantly drops the wireless connection on our 5G connection, it never drops when I'm downloading on the normal connection, so for now I've just been using our normal connection. It takes a bit longer to download, but at least I don't have to worry about it constantly dropping the connection.

Message 4 of 8
Ninon
Aspirant

I was wrong. It is indeed dropping our regular connection as well. Again, I'm the only one in the household using wifi who's having any trouble.

Message 5 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ninon,

Can you try this driver.

https://kb.netgear.com/000037991/A6210-Software-Version-1-0-0-36

Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ninon,

Any update on your case?

Message 7 of 8
Ninon
Aspirant

I ended up purchasing another adaptor. It's much smaller and I haven't had any troubles witih it so far. Thanks for the help in any case!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7