× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Strange dns query from netgear adapter

BUZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Strange dns query from netgear adapter

I just started using a netgear wireless adapter on one of my windows 7 desktop machines and noticed a google dns query being sent (after I enable the adapter). Does not do this if using an ethernet connection. Is this normal for the wireless usb adapter to send google dns query?

Message 1 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi @BUZ,

When you check the IP settings of your computer, what is the DNS server? Is it the google DNS server IP? What is the model number of your adapter?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 6
BUZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

When I check via dnsleaktest.com I see my isp DNS, confirmed via my wireless adapter that the dns is not set to use anything else, checked ipconfig /all in CMD and I see 192.168.1.1. Checked router setings and it's not set to use google dns (only isp).

When I run wireshark and enable the adapter (netgear wna1100) I immediatly see a two google dns querys every time then random ones every so often. I though that maybe it had something to do with automatic updates being enabled so I disabled updates however still does it. When I disconnect the wireless adapter and plug in ethernet cable I do not see the google dns querys so I assume it has something to do with the netgear adater?

Message 3 of 6
BUZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any ideas???

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi @BUZ,

Can you try to install it on a different computer and see if that sends Google DNS query? There might be a program on your computer that sends query.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 6
BUZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I removed the netgear adapter and tried two other wireless usb adapters on my machine (no longer saw any google dns query(s). As soon as I re-installed the netgear adapter on my machine I saw the dns query(s) again. So it has to be the netgear adapter.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7