× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to preferred wireless network

tcj12
Follower

Unable to connect to preferred wireless network

I'm using XP.  I have a wnda3100v2 adapter, and I have the NetGear 'Genie' software installed.  When I reboot my pc or power it on, the wifi connects all the time.  When I'm done, I always put the pc in sleep mode.  Coming out of sleep mode, I always see the pop-up message in the task bar in XP:  "Unable to connect to preferred wireless network."  When I open the Windows network connection, it shows my networks with an excellent signal but not connected.  The same is true with the Netgear software.  I open it from the icon in the task bar, and it shows my preferred wireless networks, but not a connection.  Sometimes, after a while, I will see the Windows wireless network connection icon in the task bar "acquiring network address" and it finally connects to the internet, but this rarely occurs.  I've taken out the adapter, tried the other usb port, restarted my router, and it remains the same.  One thing I have changed is the addition of a wireless extender that I connected to the main cable line in the room. This gives me a 5 ghz network, since my router is only 2.4 ghz, not dual band.  I'm not sure if this is a Netgear adapter problem or an XP problem or both.  I have the latest software update from NetGear for my adapter., 2.2.0.5.  Today I uninstalled the wnda3100v2 software and reinstalled it.  Same issue.

I hope someone can help me out.

Message 1 of 2
JamesGL
Master

Re: Unable to connect to preferred wireless network

Hi @tcj12,

Sometimes wireless adapters drop connection when the WinOS computer/laptop wakes up from sleep mode (hibernation).

Here are some steps on how to prevent Windows OS from putting the USB device to sleep.

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties (or open Control Panel System).
  2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  4. Double-click USB Root Hub (or right-click it and select Properties).
  5. Click the Power Management tab.
  6. Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
  7. Click OK to exit USB Root Hub Properties.
  8. Click the red cross to close the Device Manager.
  9. Click OK to close System Properties.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20940/~/fix-wake-up-issues-for-usb-wireless-adapters

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7