Reply

Updates A7000 ?

bmusic
Aspirant

Updates A7000 ?

Is it normal to get a popup on my computer suggesting that I update my A7000 WiFi adapter.  I did allow the update, and I just want to make sure that this was not any kind of virus or breach of my computer.   After it completed the update, the adapter wasn't working for several minutes while (no blue light was on).  I then called a phone number that I found on the internet when I searched for Netgear phone support, and it turned out to be a scam "company" that asked for money and other things.  I am just wanting to make sure that the original update was legit, and if not, what I should do.  

Message 1 of 4

Re: Updates A7000 ?


@bmusic wrote:

Is it normal to get a popup on my computer suggesting that I update my A7000 WiFi adapter.

 


Where did the pop-up come from?

 

Windows? Something else?

 


@bmusic wrote:

I then called a phone number that I found on the internet when I searched for Netgear phone support, and it turned out to be a scam "company" that asked for money and other things. 


 

Well spotted. Too many people fall for that trick.

 


@bmusic wrote:

I am just wanting to make sure that the original update was legit, and if not, what I should do.  



Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Compare what you have with what you find there.

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
bmusic
Aspirant

Re: Updates A7000 ?

The popup came from windows on my pc.  I do have something on my computer called Netgear A7000 Genie,so the popup seemed legitimate when I saw it.  I think the phone number I called was found via a google search.  I did a search for this phone and saw that it also has been responsible for Roku scams.

Message 3 of 4

Re: Updates A7000 ?


@bmusic wrote:

The popup came from windows on my pc.

 


Windows can throw up all manner of popups. How do you know that it was something to do with Netgear?

 


@bmusic wrote:

I do have something on my computer called Netgear A7000 Genie,so the popup seemed legitimate when I saw it. 

 


I don't know what this "genie" might be. It could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies.

 

The A7000 is a USB wifi adapter. If it is something that gets installed when you install the drivers for your USB device, then a manual installation of the latest drivers would ensure that you have the official utility.

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 491 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E