× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

W10 update (unsuccessful after 3 tries) messes up WNDA3100 V2

Psyktek
Aspirant

W10 update (unsuccessful after 3 tries) messes up WNDA3100 V2

To summarize:  after failing to upgrade W10 to the latest version for the 3rd time, I discovered that it wouldn't allow the 8-9 yearold Netgear adapter to even recognize that the internet existed. I deleted all signs of Netgear software, put the original CD in the drive and reinstalled the wizard. New problem, wizard can't detect the adapter!

So I'm left with a still useful desktop that is now a very large paperweight. 

Any help appreciated, in non-technical terms, please.

OK, this is concerning. When I entered the entire descriptiom on the package and clicked on the suggestion, I got an error message. This is the V2, NOT the V3 that I was forced to use as the model description.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Psyktek
Aspirant

Re: W10 update (unsuccessful after 3 tries) messes up WNDA3100 V2

Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestions, Mike. After several false starts (mostly having to find the MicroSD port on this antique), got the update(s) (still not sure which of the 2 I actually ended up with), and despite ongoing "Adapter not found" messages, I suddenly found myself in the Wizards network listing window. Chose my network, pushed the WPS on the router and the adapter and was connected painlessly.Not sure if success actually happened because I tried the Software Compatibility troubleshooter and the Wizard is now running on W8, but whatever.

Guess I'll find out at some point if shutting down will result in a new iteration of this issue on startup, but that' s for another day.

Regards,

Bob

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies

You don't say, but I assume that you have tried installing the latest drivers and software designed for Windows 10.

There is software, a manual and other support stuff for the WNDA3100v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>WNDA3100v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<<

Some people find that the drivers built into Windows 10 work fine with Netgear adapters.

@Psyktek wrote:

So I'm left with a still useful desktop that is now a very large paperweight. 

If you can't wire your PC into the LAN, always the best option, you could buy a new USB adapter that comes with software that was written for Windows 10, rather than whatever version was current in 2009.

I went for one of those dinky little USB adapters that disappears into the back of the desktop:

>>>> A6100 | Product | Support <<<<

Works a treat and costs next to nothing.

Message 2 of 3
Psyktek
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestions, Mike. After several false starts (mostly having to find the MicroSD port on this antique), got the update(s) (still not sure which of the 2 I actually ended up with), and despite ongoing "Adapter not found" messages, I suddenly found myself in the Wizards network listing window. Chose my network, pushed the WPS on the router and the adapter and was connected painlessly.Not sure if success actually happened because I tried the Software Compatibility troubleshooter and the Wizard is now running on W8, but whatever.

Guess I'll find out at some point if shutting down will result in a new iteration of this issue on startup, but that' s for another day.

Regards,

Bob

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7