× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNA 3100 Adapter Windows 10 Failure

mpharis3
Follower

WNA 3100 Adapter Windows 10 Failure

So here we go, this post is going be a few weeks worth of frustration over a device that just does not seem like it wants to work. A few months ago I purchased this little device and after installation it was working perfectly and i was pulling a steady 10mbps, and for a wifi adapter i felt that was good considering my current internet. Until one day about 2 months ago when my internet seemed to jitter real bad, my connection was jumping, my ping in games and download speeds looked fine but my games would jitter like my ping would spike very fast but it all looked normal. It was easy to look past although annoying that everything would kind of jitter every 5 seconds but i could live with it. Over time it seemed to get worse though. One day my connection was just unbareable; i thought my router was the issue but every other device in my house could stream 4k just fine. I looked at forum after forum and found that there were TONS of forums about this piece of junk. I’m running windows 10 btw. So I followed one of the forums and deleted the software and drivers and reinstalled and that worked for a few weeks until one day my connection would jump down to 1kbps randomly, and tbh it kind of made me mad but i just stopped using my pc. For the past 2 days i can barely get my adapter to connect to my wifi at all. It won’t load webpages 95% of the time and task manager shows i’m getting 0.0 kbps and will sometimes jump to anywhere from 1.5kbps to 1mbps for a split second before returning back to 0.0 kbps. Sounds like a bad adapter right? Well here is the weird part. I tested my speed from my computer and my connection actually comes back and the test results come out at 9-10mbps! The really weird part is if i start a download (like on steam for instance) i can get an average of 3mbps and my wifi signal comes back and i can search the internet again or even connect to a game lobby again. There are a few loops i have found that allow me to get signal long enough that i can open a program and keep it running. It’s like a car that won’t run until you push it down a hill and hop in and then it starts and runs fine for some odd reason. I have done everything every forum has suggested. I have reinstalled drivers, check my device manager to enable/disable, turned off power saver settings for device, disabled my on board wifi that no longer works through bios, tried finding the 5.100.148.5 drivers after the drivers from Netgear didn’t work, i have tried changing usb ports, tried taking it off the extender. I have tried everything, and netgear has not said anything to the many forums asking for help because they make you pay for support (which is complete bs). Honestly to me, on my pc i can visually see the drivers for the device from the 4.whatever driver are just going nuts and not working well at all in EventViewer. Please tell me someone can help, thank you. NetGear disserves a big middle finger for their efforts in some problems.
Model: WNA3100|Wireless-N 300 USB Adapter
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: WNA 3100 Adapter Windows 10 Failure

Hi mpharis3,

Did you use the drivers here?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNA3100.aspx#Software Version 2.2.0.4 (Supports Win10)

Do you have other computer to install the adapter and check if the same problem?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi mpharis3,

Did you use the drivers here?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNA3100.aspx#Software Version 2.2.0.4 (Supports Win10)

Do you have other computer to install the adapter and check if the same problem?

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi mpharis3,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7