× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNA 3100 Adapter Windows 10 Pro Failure

Handstand
Aspirant

WNA 3100 Adapter Windows 10 Pro Failure

I understand that there is an issue with detecting the USB adapter when on Windows 10 during the installation which has been solved.

I just finished building my PC and currently using Windows 10 Pro. I’ve tried tutorials to fix it but I can’t follow all the steps that are shown as they’re using the regular windows 10.

Please help.
Model: WNA3100|Wireless-N 300 USB Adapter
Message 1 of 11

Re: WNA 3100 Adapter Windows 10 Pro Failure

I assume that you have tried the latest software for your device:

WNA3100 (N300) Wireless USB Adapter Support | NETGEAR

Some people find that they do not need any software or drivers. They just use the stuff that comes in Windows 10.

Message 2 of 11
Handstand
Aspirant

I can’t download that as I don’t have WiFi on my PC and only limited to the CD I was given.
Message 3 of 11

You have access to the internet, or you would not be here.

Have you tried to download the file to whatever you use to get here? Then put it on a USB drive and load from that.

Message 4 of 11
Handstand
Aspirant

Yes, I have internet which is why I’m here on my Phone, but not on my PC.

I did try to download the link on a MacBook but it wasn’t compatible as it’s Apple.
Message 5 of 11

It should be possible to download any file regardless of the operating system. I can retrieve Windows files in Android.

Message 6 of 11
Handstand
Aspirant

Alright, I downloaded it on my MacBook and put its files on the USB stick. I then put its files onto my PC.

I then opened both setups in the files and I’m still getting the same error as they won’t detect the adapters.
Message 7 of 11

Like I said before, do you really need the software and drivers?

What happens when you just plug the adapter into your PC?

Windows 10 comes with support for many devices.

But we still do  not know what happens when you try to install this thing.

What does this mean?

@Handstand wrote:
...the same error as they won’t detect the adapters.

What won't detect it? What messages do you see? What are you doing when this happens?

Message 8 of 11
Handstand
Aspirant

Yes, It’s a pc built by scratch. As far as I’m aware I need this as I can’t wire my computer to my router and I also don’t have a PCI card so I add WiFi to my computer internally.

I simply followed the instructions, which is to have me insert the CD, click set up , Install from CD, Agree and then it gets to where it says “Insert wireless USB adapter into a USB port on your computer” which is what I do and then it says that it’s detecting adapter and then I get a adapter not found in a grey box roughly over 10 seconds after.

Today I bought the “AC1200 WiFi USB Adapter” at Argos for 29.99 as I felt that this driver would be more updated compared to the Netgear driver my friend gave me (He gave up on this product but it must have been around the time when Netgear was not compatible for Windows 10). The box of the product I bought said it was compatible for windows 10 which is great. I used absolutely everything given to me in this new box and even followed the instructions of the manual but I was given the same message.

At the moment I’m completely wiping my hard drive and going to revert it back to the regular windows 10 to see if it will detect it this time. (A reason why I’m doing this is because I attempted and uninstalled the previous CD over and over and it could possibly have messed with my hard drive and it’s installation/set up process.

Could this possibly be a hardware issue? My computer defects my keyboard and mouse and whenever I plug in a usb I always hear the noise.

Am I supposed to have a PCI card in the motherboard as well as using the USB adapters?
Message 9 of 11
Handstand
Aspirant

Yes, It’s a pc built by scratch. As far as I’m aware I need this as I can’t wire my computer to my router and I also don’t have a PCI card so I *CANT*add WiFi to my computer internally.

(Fixing that typo)
Message 10 of 11

@Handstand wrote:
Yes, It’s a pc built by scratch. As far as I’m aware I need this as I can’t wire my computer to my router and I also don’t have a PCI card so I add WiFi to my computer internally.

This offers some clues. Like you, I roll my own PCs. Have done for years. This has taught me that, out of the box, the bits won't work until I have done some heavy duty work on Windows.

This usually entails downloading a raft of drivers for the motherboard chipset. This includes the board's USB chips. I have even had to mess around with drivers for the "hard drive", an M2 chip on my latest build.

My line is to visit the motherboard makers website and grab everything in sight. I might even visit the sites of the people who make things like the audio chips (if there are any) and get those drivers. You may not think it necessary because you don't plan to use wired LAN, but I would check for drivers there too. Mostly they will come from the motherboard maker.

Maybe you have done all this, you don't say. But I would certainly think about the failure of Windows to see the USB device. Do all other USB things behave as expected? You say it is fine with USB drives, but these are pretty basic.

@Handstand wrote:

Am I supposed to have a PCI card in the motherboard as well as using the USB adapters?

Not in my experience. But it is a pity that you have to resort to wifi for a network connection. It can never match wired. I even use Powerline Ethernet when I want to connect devices that aren't mobile.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7